• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Google Chrome on Mac

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the only one experiencing odd behaviour - Chrome v70 Mac.

I can only drag the Chrome window to a new position on the screen if I click on the 'active tab'. It used to be that you could click anywhere inside the grey bar at the top and a drag the window to a new position. As far as I can see its stupid because if you happen to drag the tab off-screen you end up with half a browser window open which you cant drag back and have to close Chrome down to get rid of it????

I dont use Chrome much so maybe Im doing something wrong? Maybe you can deactivate the tabs and just have the grey bar?

Anyone else encountered this?

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently a Google search tells me its a bug since v69 of the brower realease. Hummm...... I wonder if it will ever get sorted out, possibly not as I think Google is not supporting Yosemite OS any longer and I have no plans to upgrade the OS simply to sort out a browser bug and at the same time possibly introduce further issues for any software I currently have running on Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see where a limited number of users are talking about it on the product forums (example first 3 links returned).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chrome+Yosemite+move+window

But it does seem quite limited and not widespread which leads me to believe its a conflict elsewhere.

osgood_  wrote

I think Google is not supporting Yosemite OS any longer

It was only mid-year of this year that Google dropped support for Mavericks. Yosemite still has full Chrome support and current releases, you'll see it states "For Mac OS X 10.10 or later" on the download page. But at some point they will again move forward.

osgood_  wrote

I have no plans to upgrade the OS simply to sort out a browser bug and at the same time possibly introduce further issues for any software I currently have running on Yosemite.

While Chrome still supports Yosemite, Apple support for Yosemite ceased in the fall of 2017 and support for El Capitan ceased this fall. If I may ask - what specific app(s), tools or processes of yours are reliant on Yosemite for compatibility and stability?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T  wrote

If I may ask - what specific app(s), tools or processes of yours are reliant on Yosemite for compatibility and stability?

I have no idea until I update the OS and that is when it is usually too late. I have dozens of bits of software (some quite old) for both web-develoment and dtp, not to mention a couple of printers and other external devices. I really only put myself to the trouble of updating my OS IF and only IF I have the necessity to do so - Chrome (at the moment is incidental to my operation)

Usually the OS that comes with the machine I buy stays with it until it dies. I'm in that area at the moment where I need a new machine so I'll probably wait. That way at least I can be assured that ALL the important software I need on the machine with Yosemite is functional.

It doesnt surprise me if you read the below (whilst I personally havent come across many of the issues describe, some obviously have)

People Reporting All Kinds of Issues With Google's Chrome 69 Update | Digital Trends

If you do some more digging is widely reported to be an issue

Google Groups

And folks this is the answer (see below) as posted in the above thread (You now have to click on the very very edge of the browser window NOT in the grey bar - that is a huge bug)

Hey - I found this post because I had the same problem and it was driving me insane. Here's a very annoying "fix" (not really a fix but just a way to deal with the bug before Chrome fixes it) -- move your mouse to the top of the browser window so you've got the vertical resize arrow. Now instead of dragging up to resize, move left-right. For some reason, this is the only position from which it can be dragged. Suuuuper irritating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well good luck with things @osgood_ , sorry I couldn't help but it works fine for me.

All these Chrome related issues seem sporadic and limited amongst users. As you have stated you have not encountered many of the issues described. Generally when thats the case they are caused by other things and harder to track down.

osgood_  wrote

Chrome (at the moment is incidental to my operation)

Given its the #1 web browser used globally how can it be considered incidental as a web developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T  wrote

Well good luck with things @osgood_ , sorry I couldn't help but it works fine for me.

All these Chrome related issues seem sporadic and limited amongst users. As you have stated you have not encountered many of the issues described. Generally when thats the case they are caused by other things and harder to track down.

As you well know, many post here with DW related problems, which those that have used it for years have never encountered and works well for them. That's the way it is - could literally be anything. All I know Chrome WAS working correctly before the v96+ updates so I have to assume its a Chrome bug which is not playing good with my rather old OS and not something that I have introduced.

W_J_T  wrote

Given its the #1 web browser used globally how can it be considered incidental as a web developer.

True but I dont need it for general use only to do some checking so if the window is stuck in one position its annoying but not really an issue.

I dont know whether you read my edits in the last post but I found an answer to the problem. Unless this is the advanced new way Chrome expects you to drag the window around its definitely a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, but I'm glad you have a workaround for your instance case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

W_J_T  wrote

It doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, but I'm glad you have a workaround for your instance case.

Widespread or not its annoying if it affects you and I dont see any official source where Google have come out and said its a bug that may affect a small amount of our users, we are working to fix it or we dont care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can boot into your OS of choice and have never experienced what you are saying over the course of all the Chrome updates, the latest included. I have noticed Chrome sometimes becomes unfocused and if you click off it and click the desktop and then back to Chrome it sorts things out for certain things. But I can not replicate myself what you seem to be experiencing. So perhaps its something else conflicting on certain users machines, a Chrome extension, or otherwise throughout the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google suggests its a combo of Yosemite and Chrome v69+, seems to be quite a number of users that are experiencing the same problem. I dont use Chrome that much, mainly for testing purposes much later on in the project build. lts always been a bit strange, never opens a file after the first time of opening it from within an application. Ill look into the extensions and see if lve loaded something up in the past which may be conflicting. It is rather annoying though, prior to the auto updates it was working as one would expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines