Highlighted

OT: Google Drive????

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picking up on a discussion here a while ago, I'm still looking for some web-storage space.

Is anyone uisng Google Drive and if so is it stable, secure and reliable? I'm looking at the 1TB storage option to store mostly large graphic/photographic files.

Or does anyone else use something different for storage. I dont want to use Dropbox as I can't understand the difference between personal, business or business pro and if you can or cannot upgrade from this or that option, the documentation seems awful in my opinion. I already have  free Dropbox account, which worked great, so I dont want to mess that up by attempting to upgrade to a different option.

Cheers

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

OT: Google Drive????

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picking up on a discussion here a while ago, I'm still looking for some web-storage space.

Is anyone uisng Google Drive and if so is it stable, secure and reliable? I'm looking at the 1TB storage option to store mostly large graphic/photographic files.

Or does anyone else use something different for storage. I dont want to use Dropbox as I can't understand the difference between personal, business or business pro and if you can or cannot upgrade from this or that option, the documentation seems awful in my opinion. I already have  free Dropbox account, which worked great, so I dont want to mess that up by attempting to upgrade to a different option.

Cheers

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 12, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got rid of DropBox due to security concerns.  As I understand it, they aren't doing anything to improve encryption between client and server systems, and it is apparently easily hacked, especially via mobile devices.

Google Drive I haven't used, but like all things Google, if it's free, you're the product.  I understand the benefits of the cloud, but I don't entirely trust it.  If you want to keep information private, store it locally.  Don't put anything in the cloud that you value or want to keep prying eyes away from.

That said, if you need something that can be accessed from anywhere there is an internet connection, Google Drive would probably be ideal.

Unfortunately, where I work is very paranoid about security, so I cannot access certain Google services from work (no gmail, no Google Drive, nothing where anything can be uploaded.)

HTH,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade  wrote

I got rid of DropBox due to security concerns.  As I understand it, they aren't doing anything to improve encryption between client and server systems, and it is apparently easily hacked, especially via mobile devices.

Google Drive I haven't used, but like all things Google, if it's free, you're the product.  I understand the benefits of the cloud, but I don't entirely trust it.  If you want to keep information private, store it locally.  Don't put anything in the cloud that you value or want to keep prying eyes away from.

I dont really trust the cloud either. I do have all files backed up on an external hd but I dont trust that either lol, not after the last one just suddenly stopped working...........so I'm just trying to be ultra efficient by having an additional back-up somewhere else.

I've been playing around with Google Drive a bit and I can understand how that works, just drag and drop.....seems simple which is what I need. I've heard of Google but not any of the others out there that offer similar storage services.  What I dont likei s you have to access it through your gmail account, Id rather perhaps have a simple app on the desktop where I can just sign in and use my main email address as the point of contact.

Oh well lets see how it goes........initially you get 15GB with Google Drive free so I'll try it out for a few days and if it is suitable I'll upgrade to the 1Tb option as I need some bigger space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Backblaze.  Unlimited storage & only $5/month.

https://www.backblaze.com/

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look at backblaze tomorrow when l get back behind a decent device, not this crappy mobile l'm currently on.

Thanks for the information Nancy.

Os

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Drive actually now has a "Backup and Sync" feature, and has always had a desktop application that integrates nicely with Windows and Apple OS platforms. You can store unlimited photo images for free; I currently pay $20/year for 115GB of storage for all my other document needs.

Also, your Google account doesn't have to be a "gmail.com" account; I use my personal/business domains for my Google Drive (and other services) accounts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anissa_thompson  wrote

Google Drive actually now has a "Backup and Sync" feature, and has always had a desktop application that integrates nicely with Windows and Apple OS platforms. You can store unlimited photo images for free; I currently pay $20/year for 115GB of storage for all my other document needs.

Also, your Google account doesn't have to be a "gmail.com" account; I use my personal/business domains for my Google Drive (and other services) accounts.

Great, thanks for the informative information.........I'll have to dig deeper into how it all works.

Os

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2018 1
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humm according to the url below the desktop app is being/has been shut down

The Google Drive app for PC and Mac is being shut down in March - The Verge

Its being replaced by Backup/Sync but I have no idea which option would be better, personal or business.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2018 0