• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page using bootstrap gets totally messed up in design mode but is fine in live preview and browser

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit a website using bootstrap in DW.

Sadly the layout gets totally messed up in design mode, while it looks nice both in live preview and the browser.

This would be fine for me. But my friend relies on using the drag and drop/ WYSIWYG features of DW's design mode. Sadly, with a design mode that hardly resembles the actual page, that's just a mess.

Are there any known issues with that? What can I do, such that the design mode looks like the actual webpage?

I'ts an old website, the pages got their responsiveness retrofitted, if that's relevant.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Bootstrap is responsive.  As such, you should use Live View or Preview in Browsers.  Design View is a  holdover from the bad old days when everyone used tables for layouts.   It's far from perfect.

evas6672317  wrote

But my friend relies on using the drag and drop/ WYSIWYG features of DW's design mode.

DW Design View is not a WYSIWYG editor.  Basic coding skills are essential, especially with Bootstrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bootstrap is responsive.  As such, you should use Live View or Preview in Browsers.  Design View is a  holdover from the bad old days when everyone used tables for layouts.   It's far from perfect.

evas6672317  wrote

But my friend relies on using the drag and drop/ WYSIWYG features of DW's design mode.

DW Design View is not a WYSIWYG editor.  Basic coding skills are essential, especially with Bootstrap.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, I hoped there was some mistake in my page to cause the different look. Thank you for your quick answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code errors are never good for a lot of reasons.   The validation feature in DW can help you find them.

CC-BugReport.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very handy feature indeed, thank you!

I found and removed some minor issues with it, but it did not improve the appearance in design mode. Columns are still not displayed where they belong to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some projects, I disable CSS in Design View.   View > Design View Options > Style Rendering > untick Display Styles.

It's less distracting when you focus on content instead of layout and styles.   This does not effect Live view or Preview in browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's built-in "browser" for Design View doesn't meet the same standards as actual browsers, and cannot be relied upon.

And drag-n-drop methods are fine to a point, but as Nancy OShea​ has pointed out, a rudimentary grasp of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is essential to delivering solid code to a project.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines