• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PHP Support

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there ever be something like the old Developer Toolbox extensions again in DW?

They were great for custom CMS development. In my personal view I have reasons for not using Wordpress, such as a lack of customization when certain functions need to be used or you have to pay for them.

DW has turned into a fancy code editor and nothing else much to justify the expense of using it.

Any thoughts or news on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't comment beyond what Adobe officially said about the 2020 Road Map.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver/dreamweaver-2020-roadmap/td-p/10885179?page=1

To learn more, I suggest you join the Pre-release program.

https://www.adobeprerelease.com

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Killing this off 8 years ago

Database and Server Behaviors workflows
   Natively supported Database workflows (MySQLi, PDO)
   Support PHP 7

signalled the end of Dreamweaver.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the initial PHP/PDO integration will be basic stuff so don't expect anything like Developer Toolbox (formely Interakt MX Kollection).  PDO is the obvious choice although there was/is an old Dreamwever extension called PHAKT that utilised PHP ADODB (still being maintained).

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic demo of server behavior functionally using the old Interakt PHAKT extension updated with the latest version of PHP ADODB and modified/updated for PHP 7: https://youtu.be/dts88EAyRvc

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thak you for this. I've succesfully been using Phakt myself with MySQLi instructions on PHP 7.3 BUT using a very outdated DW version (DW8 which is not even from Adobe, it's from a defunct Macromedia) so this gives me hope until Adobe  realizes (after years of hiatus) that there is a very big market in PHP users that use DW as their primary editing tool.

The video does not say how the extension was installed in DW2020 so I guess we'll just have to wait, I've downloaded the latest DW beta and see the "basic" server behaviours have been restored but still none of the advanced functions that made Developer Toolbox what it was... probably the greatest ever extension to exist in DW (at least for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whilst I agree that using an extention is useful, it's usually very limited in functionality, at least the old DW extentions were and the coding they spewed out was appauling, to say the least.

I too used to rely on them but made the decision to learn some basic connect/querying database functions by manually producing them. You know its not hugley complex or difficult and you can produce snippets for the required basics - select, insert, update, delete etc........probably the best decision I ever made as it opened my eyes and made me a better coder using better coding techniques, than what is usually achievable by an automated process.

Not ideal for everyone but those that want to progress should consider putting a few hours aside to learn how to do this without the need for any dependencies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines