Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview remote site in browser DW CC 2018

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been using DW CS6 for many years, and on F12 always got the preview on the testing server (which also is the remote server).

I have now installed DW CC 2018, and there I get the preview on a local site http://127.0.0.1:65498/preview With the title "Device Preview".

I have checked the old (CS6) and new (CC) configurations, and cannot find the difference. The site definitions are exported from CS6 and imported into CC through  XML *.ste - files.

I would very much like the preview to happen on the remote site.

Thanks

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

The F12 shortcut was given to Live Preview in CC2017 and continues to be one of the inaccessible keyboard shortcuts in the preferences, so there's no way built into the program interface to change it back to the old Preview in Browser. That doesn't mean you can't change it though. If you have full admin access to your computer, you can make a tiny text change to one of DW's program files to permanently give F12 back to Preview in Browser.

To re-map the old Preview in Browser (Open in Browser) to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The F12 shortcut was given to Live Preview in CC2017 and continues to be one of the inaccessible keyboard shortcuts in the preferences, so there's no way built into the program interface to change it back to the old Preview in Browser. That doesn't mean you can't change it though. If you have full admin access to your computer, you can make a tiny text change to one of DW's program files to permanently give F12 back to Preview in Browser.

To re-map the old Preview in Browser (Open in Browser) to F12 rather than Live Preview...

1. Close DW and go to...

Windows: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

Mac: Applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

(I think, I don't have a Mac to test)

2. Open the file "PIB_Dynamic.js"

2a. As always, make a backup in case something goes sideways. Add _old at the end of the file name.

3. Search for the text "dw.browseDocument". There are 3 spots with that code, but the first two are just comments. The right one should be on or about line 433, and change the text "isPIB" to "true"

The finished line of code will look like...

dw.browseDocument(dw.getDocumentPath('document'),theBrowser, "-1"/*help argument*/, false /*use temp doc*/, true);

4. Save the file to your desktop

5. Drag the file into the original location from Step 1. You will be prompted for your Admin credentials in order to make the copy/replacement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try right click on the document TAB and then from the drop down menu choosing "open from browser > the browser of your choice"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! thanks, and together with Jon's answer I guess I get it the way I want!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I posted the above is because Live Preview uses Adobe's servers to show you your page, live as you make edits (usually). Because of that, you get the odd IP address in the location bar and links to other pages may or may not work.

Going back to using Preview in Browser instead of Live Preview will use your local file, on your local machine and give you either the file// or localhost (testing server) address just like the older versions of DW did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the link that I gave link to the old preview, not the preview in a browser... so that way one get the real URL and not the DW generated one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, and the instructions I posted above will turn...

"right click on the document TAB and then from the drop down menu choosing "open from browser > the browser of your choice"

...into...

Hit F12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jon !

You just make my day !

I confirm this hack working here in DW CC 2018 (10136).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines