• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Mail link smartrphone

Advocate ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my contact page on website, a prospective client pointed out something.

My mail to link.. which works great on desktop... Click and a new email come up in Apple Mail (or whatever client), and ready to go.

But on smartphone, (in my case iphone), I see a hidden at bottom, (beyond pathetic), "Open this link in external app? mailto joe@joephoto.com"

This is just pathetic. Is this how email links work for smartphones or is there something I can do to replicate the "normal" way it works on desktops/ laptops, thanks.

TOPICS
Browser , Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Actually it's a lot worse than you realize.  MAILTO links are useless unless your device has an e-mail client like Outlook installed on it.  Most people stopped using e-mail software ages ago when they switched to browser-based Gmail and Yahoo mail.

To protect yourself and ensure a good user experience for everyone, you need a secure contact form that safely sends form data from your server to your e-mail.   Ask your hosting provider which scripts you can use on your server. 

Forn services l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's a lot worse than you realize.  MAILTO links are useless unless your device has an e-mail client like Outlook installed on it.  Most people stopped using e-mail software ages ago when they switched to browser-based Gmail and Yahoo mail.

To protect yourself and ensure a good user experience for everyone, you need a secure contact form that safely sends form data from your server to your e-mail.   Ask your hosting provider which scripts you can use on your server. 

Forn services like Wufoo.com are another option.  Form data is collected and processed on their servers, not yours.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, well the page is a form page. I have a beautiful form. But I put a "loose" email on the top of the form, for those who might want to just send a quick inquiry without filling the form.

So bottom line, and I never knew this, is that on smartphone, loose emails, or independent emails links do not bring up a new email in their email client, as it would on a desktop/ laptop?

I could get rid of the loose email, but for some reason, I feel it's a nice option for those who prefer that. Though, if not on dektop/ laptop, but smartphone then could get confused.. so one could argue just force everyone to use the form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting an e-mail address online is irresponsible.  It does nothing but promote spam and puts you and your server at risk.  Spammers like to use other people's e-mail address in the header of their spam campaigns. When your server gets hit with 4,000 bounced e-mails per minute, it doesn't matter that you didn't initiate them.  Your site can be blacklisted or worse, shut down for spamming abuse.  Best advice, DO NOT post your e-mail address online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding weight to Nancy's answer, have a look at https://michoninternational.com/michon-news/never-use-a-href-mailto-or-html-mailto-on-a-website/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy/ Ben. Ok will get rid of it. So no one will miss it?  It's been there as a courtesy. Actually when I'm online with company, I prefer seeing a quik email to a tiring form.

I think I have my email on a few dozen sites, LInkene etc, and I put it there when web was new and gentle and nice. Not such a nice place anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Nancy, I do see folks / companies/ who list email on without a live link. Is that Kosher?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I think that's their cross to bear.  I can't recommend posting a real e-mail address online.  But I have some clients who insist so I use an unlinked image.  It's not web friendly but it will suffice as robots can't read images.  

I  have no e-mail software installed on any device including workstations.  The contact form is my only way to reach a site owner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So even if they are are not linked, no good? Just jpeg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines