Highlighted

QR Code: Yes or No?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think QR codes are a dying way to access your website through your phone or tablet? I am trying to decide if I want to include this into my website or not. I need feedback! Thanks!

TOPICS
Code, Extensions, Other, Performance, Preview, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

QR Code: Yes or No?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think QR codes are a dying way to access your website through your phone or tablet? I am trying to decide if I want to include this into my website or not. I need feedback! Thanks!

TOPICS
Code, Extensions, Other, Performance, Preview, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 21, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about QR codes to be honest but any method which tries to access a website while offline is doomed to failure as only those parts which have been cached can be reached.

Google seems to be doing that now in some kind of form, making you believe you are still online when infact you are disconnected. The moment you click on a link you havent visited before it says you are offline, excellent and probably very confusing for those who don't know why, which must be the majority. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe I don't understand the meaning of your question correctly, or the use of the QR code that you focus on, so I'm sorry if I'm not there!

the QR code is not included in your site (except, if it must be controlled by an external device, entrance ticket, certificate, etc...) if you use the QR code to access your site, (which I believe I understood), the QR code must be affixed to a communication external to your site, such as posters, advertising in a magazine, TV spot, product affixed, etc., and it is by flashing this code, that your site will then be pointed on the associate exact page

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QR codes are a way of going to a website without having to enter the address.

Thing is, that the QR code has to be found in the first place, which means having to type an address anyway. Personally I do not see the use.

With a PWA, the address is typed in and the site can be installed just like a native app, which incidently works offline in exactly the same manner as a PWA.

Those against the concept of a WPA may be well advised to read up about it for fear of being left behind.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There,s no need to read up about it, they dont work 100%, that's a fact. Those who think they do are best advised to read up on it.

What do you actually find great about a workflow that only works for selective pages which have been cached. I assume you do know that only the pages of a website you have previously visited are accessible when using a PWA.

Personally I struggle to accept that many links will not work and the only message you will get, assuming the developer has implemnetd the PWA correctly, is you have to be connected to the internet to view this page.

A dedicated app is by far and away the best option and many would argue that, at least that is complete and fully works. Only static pages work anyway via a PWA, nothing dynamic will work, you cant check a continuously updated timetable or weather conditions because that will just feed you 12hr old news whilst you are offline, great.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, there's something I don't understand in your comment. (I don't speak with regard to PWAs, I agree 100% with you on this subject). I'm talking about the QR code.

when you say"..... The problem is that the QR code must be found first, which means that you still have to enter an address. Personally, I don't see the point..."   well, I don't understand the kind of QR code we're talking about here.

let me explain how I use the QR code, there are two ways I often use in websites. I suggest you take for example the last site I am publishing. this is the event site to follow the matches of a water polo team

two ways...

From the outside to the inside

there are many posters published in town to announce the match of the week, just as the partners all have advertisements in their stores, or their offices open to the public, finally in the video screens in town the teaser are broadcast.

we then publish in the bottom right and for each communication support, a QR code that points to the site on the ticket booking site.

from the inside to the outside
the ticket sales and booking application produces a QR code, which will be printed either on a paper printer or on a digital PDF version (depending on the choice of each one).

now when the person comes to the car park, partner restaurant or swimming pool to access the stands, a scanner (or smartphones equipped with the application) can take into account the placement, ticket or discount held by the person

at no time is an address or any information whatsoever (relating to the application in or out) to be entered by the user... only scan are done

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is wrong - you dont have to type in anything when using a QR code - you just scan it on your mobile device and you get taken to the website. Tradionally a QR code is printed on a mailer, advert etc.

My view is that they work and are/was useful. I do actually see a point and an end product.  I have had only one ocassion to use them for a clients printed publicity material, a few years back,  since when I don't read a lot of media related propoganda, so I could not tell you if they are dying/dead or not as I don't see them.

What's more I dont really understand the OPs problem. You dont consider including a QR code into your website, that can be generated at any time. So just produce the website then consider if dotting around a few QRs on various publicity material are going to be beneficial to your client.  My view is they are part and parcel of an overall advertsing campaign and could be rewarding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 1