Highlighted

Question about jQuery versioning

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

Our public website was completed in 2015, and is currently using jQuery v1.11.2.  We recently were alerted to a vulnerability that is tied to this version, and were instructed to update to a more recent version.  Since this is a public page, we have decided to not go all the way to v3.x and instead are going to use v2.2.4 as we do not know how much legacy support v3.x has.

To my question:  Do I just place the v.2.2.4 .js file in the same folder and change the script src attribute to reflect the newer version?  Or is there anything else I need to do?  This is the first time I've ever needed to update jQuery.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

If your scripts are compatible with that newer version of the library, that's all you'd need to do to get them running.

Test it out on a duplicate page, if it works, you're done. If it doesn't, you'll need to find updated scripts or rewrite the ones you have. 

TOPICS
Bootstrap, Browser, Code, Download install and licensing, Error, Extensions, How to, Import and export, Interface, Other, Performance, Preview, Product issue, Publish, Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Question about jQuery versioning

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

Our public website was completed in 2015, and is currently using jQuery v1.11.2.  We recently were alerted to a vulnerability that is tied to this version, and were instructed to update to a more recent version.  Since this is a public page, we have decided to not go all the way to v3.x and instead are going to use v2.2.4 as we do not know how much legacy support v3.x has.

To my question:  Do I just place the v.2.2.4 .js file in the same folder and change the script src attribute to reflect the newer version?  Or is there anything else I need to do?  This is the first time I've ever needed to update jQuery.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

If your scripts are compatible with that newer version of the library, that's all you'd need to do to get them running.

Test it out on a duplicate page, if it works, you're done. If it doesn't, you'll need to find updated scripts or rewrite the ones you have. 

TOPICS
Bootstrap, Browser, Code, Download install and licensing, Error, Extensions, How to, Import and export, Interface, Other, Performance, Preview, Product issue, Publish, Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John.  I'll give it a shot.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, you should use the latest stable release if possible.

Test your plugins with 3.4 and jQuery Migrate.  Migrate helps older scripts work with newer libraries.

https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.4.1.min.js  
https://code.jquery.com/jquery-migrate-3.1.0.min.js

If that fails, then try it with version 2x.  See link below for reference.

https://jquery.com/download/

If your plugins are still too outdated, find modern replacements.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys, for your wisdom.

I have added the 2.2.4 min file to the proper folder and updated the src in the header.  It is working in staging, but I haven't pushed to production just yet.  A bit nervous.

As far as using the most recent, again, I'm not sure about legacy support, and I know that we have users still using IE10 or IE9 and older versions of FireFox and Chrome.  So I'm sticking to 2.2.4 unless it fails a scan.

Thanks, again!

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2020 0