Highlighted

"Check Links Sitewide" creates duplicate folders

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened repeatedly. After running "Check Links Sitewide" on my local website, I find that dreamweaver has made a copy of my website's parent folder and placed it in one of the site's subfolders. Fortunately it doesn't copy the entire folder, usually only one random HTML file.  And it doesn't always pick the same subfolder. After I check links, I have to go through my whole site to locate the duplicate. I keep deleting these bogus folders, only to see that they have returned next time I check links. I have rebuilt the site cache several times, reloaded, rebooted, etc. My app is up to date (v. 20.2).  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Error, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Check Links Sitewide" creates duplicate folders

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened repeatedly. After running "Check Links Sitewide" on my local website, I find that dreamweaver has made a copy of my website's parent folder and placed it in one of the site's subfolders. Fortunately it doesn't copy the entire folder, usually only one random HTML file.  And it doesn't always pick the same subfolder. After I check links, I have to go through my whole site to locate the duplicate. I keep deleting these bogus folders, only to see that they have returned next time I check links. I have rebuilt the site cache several times, reloaded, rebooted, etc. My app is up to date (v. 20.2).  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Error, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but this is much ado about nothing.  Check links sitewide is a meaningless feature.  Why do you check links so often?   

Assuming your site files reside in a properly defined local site folder, and you're using DW's HTML Properties panel to insert page links, there should be no doubt that link paths are correct.   If they're not correct, you have a workflow problem, not a link problem. 

The only links that might need occasional checks are links to external websites.  Unfortunately, CLS doesn't check external links.  For that you need other tools.

Feel free to submit bug reports from your Help menu where product engineers will see them.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy. It's an inherited website originaly built outside of DW that has some broken internal links. That's why I have been checking it as I work through the issues. In the future it won't be necessary. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0