• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering Password from Windows Registry?

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After my PC crashed out I had to reinstall everything. I had a couple of recent sites that I hadn't yet backed up with a .ste or anything. I can get into the registry on the old drive and I've found the password key in the keychain, but unlike my old trusty DW8, the keys for the CC version seem to be a long encoded string. Is there any method of decoding this or do I have to go digging around for my original notes on the passwords for the sites I'm missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DrewRothman,

What's the nature of passwords you are trying to recover - password used to log into your site through FTP? Or something else?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These were FTP credentials, yes.

I think I've found the one I really needed via other means, so it's not critical at this point, but it might be nice to know if/how to decode those registry values in case there are others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it not be possible to check with your hosting provider, or use your hosting account to reset your password? I am sorry if I did not get you right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In many cases these are hosting accounts for clients, so I often don't even know who the host is. I've just been given an FTP login to do some work on the site. In some cases, these sites are years old so I've lost track of the original email chains with the credentials in them. But for the sites I really need to work with I'm all set, honestly.

I just wondered if there was a way to get at the stuff in case I find myself in need. With DW8 it was a simple matter of copying the key and running it through a decoder on the web, but with CC it seems the encoding is more complicated. I guess the short answer is "if you don't sync your site definitions to the cloud or back them up locally you're screwed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I get you. Thanks for the detailed info.

I honestly don't know if anything has changed in the previous years with this feature. I have written to the product team asking them to have a look at this post when they are free. If they have anything to add, you should hear from them. Also, I am hoping that there are other users that have wheedled their way through a similar situation that can step in and offer guidance.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you shed some light on how you recovered your password through "other means"? It can probably help other users with a similar issue.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know that if you reinstall the system ,you will lose everything on your computer , i have never done that in solving similar problems .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I prefer to use some software that solves problems more quickly and saves time and energy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines