Highlighted

Replacing articles and cutting list in Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Dear experts,

Thanks for your good assistance with previus issue. I have another questions. This time with coding. 

1. I wonder how articles, in my case news articles are replaced with newer ones in website developed via DW with archiving previous ones? I mean archiving without losing access to them in webpage

2. How to close a list of items, so that when adding another heading, last one disappears in a particular part of html page, but without losing accessibility to them?

Please see the screenshot below for better understanding the questions.

Best regards

Screenshot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Replacing articles and cutting list in Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Dear experts,

Thanks for your good assistance with previus issue. I have another questions. This time with coding. 

1. I wonder how articles, in my case news articles are replaced with newer ones in website developed via DW with archiving previous ones? I mean archiving without losing access to them in webpage

2. How to close a list of items, so that when adding another heading, last one disappears in a particular part of html page, but without losing accessibility to them?

Please see the screenshot below for better understanding the questions.

Best regards

Screenshot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not exactly clear what it is you are trying to do BUT a normal workflow for presenting 'News Articles' is to use pagination ie - <  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  > etc

The current 'News Articles' would be on page 1 and the older ones would be 'archived (accessible)' on pages 2 - 6 etc.

You could do that manually - a real pain to manage or you could store all your news articles in a database and automate the process.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I just simply wush to learn how to upload news to the webpage I have developed like all other news sites. But I am not sure about replacing process. Pagination term might give an idea. But it is still unclear to me what exact coding or ways to use to upload new articles with understading what will happen to previous ones. To me it seems a different procedure than just simply creating other pages, i.e. paginations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, you cannot do this with a static HTML site.  You need a dynamic approach with databases and server-side and/or client-side code.  People will want to search your site's articles by title, author, date, subject and keywords. You can't do that with ordinary HTML.

If you're not experienced with databases and server-side coding yet, one option is to re-build your site with WordPress and use a paid WP Theme.  Themes provide both appearance and site functionality.  See newspaper themes for WordPress below.

https://www.competethemes.com/blog/wordpress-newspaper-themes/

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. But I was paying for dreamweaver software in hope that I will be able to build news site I wish. So, you suggest I have wasted money??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is just a stable code editor. It doesnt currently have any up-to-date workflows that can help beyond building a relatively simple static website.

To build a more complex website you either need good coding skills or you need to use a more automated approach such as using Wordpress, Wix, etc. Wappler, another code editor is more like Dreamweaver but with all the automated workfows you need to build complex solutions.

If you are just producing a one off website and have zero interest in coding or a career in web development then one those solutions are best suited to someone like yourself. All have steep learning curves so dont expect anything to happen overnight.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is a very fine tool.  But it's only as good as the person using it.  

You're trying to build an advanced level content management site without sufficient coding skills or knowledge of server-side databases and dynamic web technologies.  You can enroll in online courses to learn all you need to know to do this yourself or you can switch to a different platform like WordPress.  It's your choice which path to take.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0