• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rogue A with caret appearing

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On some pages after loading them up, a capital A with a caret symbol above appears before the £ symbol which stops the shopping cart functions.

what causes this, and how do I resolve the problem?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

You dont have much meta data information at the top of the xx-alex.html page.

Try including the charset below and see what happens:

<meta charset="UTF-8">

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's stopping your shopping cart from functioning, you should ask the shopping cart maker what needs to be done to fix it. They've likely come across the issue many times.

I'll submit a couple of guesses though...

One guess would be that whatever you're using to create the symbol doesn't match the charset of your page. You might be able to replace the symbol with a code entity for the same thing...

& pound;

& #163;

& #xa3;

(without the space) are a few options. Changing your charset meta tag to <meta charset="utf-8"> in the <head> of the page is another possible fix. Though if the cart system isn't in your page, that may not do the trick.

It may be that having the symbol in with the price is causing some kind of calculation problem with your cart system scripts. in that case, you could add it using css ::before or ::after on the selector for the price container...

.price::before {

content:"\00a3";

}

<p class="price">(price goes here)</p>

That will place the symbol before the price using css, so it won't affect a calculation script.

It's pretty hard to say how to fix it without knowing what "it " is. Can you post a link to your work in progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is 2 links to the problem, the first red worked fine, the secend Alex does not even though the code was simply copied across, from the test page.

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-rod.html

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-Alex.html

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of those links are 404 File Not Found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry about that:

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-rpd.html

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-alex.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-rpd.html

www.harristweedshop.com/xx-alex.html

Both work fine

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont have much meta data information at the top of the xx-alex.html page.

Try including the charset below and see what happens:

<meta charset="UTF-8">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took out the meta data to see if this would make a difference, as the test page xx-rpd.html works fine.

following an earler suggestion I added the char set info but this made no difference to the Alex page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prh108  wrote

I took out the meta data to see if this would make a difference, as the test page xx-rpd.html works fine.

following an earler suggestion I added the char set info but this made no difference to the Alex page.

Is the information being pulled from a database and if so whats the connection code you are using. You can probably set the charset before the information hits the page. I've had similar issues and eventually found workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No the information is not coming from a database, everything in on the page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had a look at Nancy's links which shows

The errors:

1. There is no character encoding declared, see answer 8 by osgood_

2. A warning that has no influence on the proper working of the page

3. Code has been placed between the head and body elements, i.e. the ending head tag is in the wrong place

4. Error #3 is fatal and the rest of the document will not be processed.

These are the errors of the working page from which you copied the code for the non-working page.

Solution, fix the above errors first, then recheck the page for further errors, fix them and do the same for the non-working page.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both pages contain critical code errors.   See links below for details.

Showing results for https://www.harristweedshop.com/xx-alex.html - Nu Html Checker

Showing results for https://www.harristweedshop.com/xx-rpd.html - Nu Html Checker

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prh108  wrote

On some pages after loading them up, a capital A with a caret symbol above appears before the £ symbol which stops the shopping cart functions.

what causes this, and how do I resolve the problem?

thanks

The capital A with caret will be in the relevant pages code. If the code is provided by the people providing the shopping cart, the you would be better advised contacting them.

If it is in the html code you have written, then it will in the relevant position to where it appears in the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both URL's lead to a 404 error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adjusted the pages so that they both have the same information in the head area and closed that with </head>

in the case of harristweedshop.com/xx-rpd.html

everything works fine in relation to the shopping cart and the £ symbol

on harristweedshop.com/xx-alex.html

it still does not work

I have tried adding

<meta charset="utf-8">

and

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

to this page and it makes no difference.

Interestingly adding either of these statements to the rpd.html page stops that page working !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please have a look at Showing results for https://www.harristweedshop.com/xx-alex.html - Nu Html Checker and Showing results for https://www.harristweedshop.com/xx-rpd.html - Nu Html Checker

What you have achieved so far is that both documents have the same fatal error. If I was being facetious I would say 'well done'.

Instead I'll be brutally honest and say that both documents are a complete schlemazel. When looking at the code in the so-called working document, I immediately ask, "where are the closing tags?" and "what are those rogue characters?"

<option>No Thanks - Standard Lining Please

<option>T121 Fancy Lining - Golfers +£135.00

<option>T1022 Fancy Lining - Skulls +£135.00

<option>Suit with standard Lining +£500.00

<option>Suit with Fancy Lining +£600.00

If you do not want to correct the code, as you have defiantly shown, could I at least urge you to remove the rogue characters in the non-working document to prove to you that they are not the culprit.

In the non-working document do a Find and Replace (find  and replace with nothing). If you want to remove the rogue characters in the working document, you will need to find Â.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done anything defiantly!

If you actually checked the code then you would see the correct tags are present

ie <select> </select> and everything between <form></form>

Clearly you know better than the person who wrote the original program for the cart, which was by the way not me, I will pass on your condescending information to them.

The whole reason for asking the community (he says sarcastically) was that no one appears to know why this is happening in html 5, as the cart has performed extremely well for a number of years.

If I knew what caused the problem then yes  I could use find and replace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the following code into a new document and view in browser:

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

</head>

<ul>

<li>T121 Fancy Lining - Golfers +£135.00</li>

<li>T1022 Fancy Lining - Skulls +£135.00</li>

<li>Suit with standard Lining +£500.00 </li>

<li>Suit with Fancy Lining +£600.00</li>

</ul>

</body>

</html>

This will show

Open a new document and repeat the above

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Untitled Document</title>

</head>

<ul>

<li>T121 Fancy Lining - Golfers +£135.00</li>

<li>T1022 Fancy Lining - Skulls +£135.00</li>

<li>Suit with standard Lining +£500.00 </li>

<li>Suit with Fancy Lining +£600.00</li>

</ul>

</body>

</html>

This will show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

The list option does not sure the rogue character, bot obviously does not work with the cart.

I have added <meta charset="utf-8"> to the xx-alex.html page and this has no affect, in that when you add the item to the cart the rogue character appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, this is because there is no declared character encoding for the cart document.

Add  <meta charset="utf-8"> to the document and it will be fine.

Edit:

You are probably wondering why you are getting the problem now. It all has to do with HTML entities and charsets. The way that you presented the £ symbol in the past may have been different to what you have done recently. My guess is that you copied the symbol from the original document. To make sure that there are no problems always include the charset definition to all of your documents. For more have a look at HTML Entities and the following two pages.

This does not take away that your documents are still a mess. I would start with moving the </head> tag to the line above the <body> tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prh108​, I see that you have not supplied any feedback after receiving the last suggestion to solve your problem.

This leads me to conclude that all is well and I have marked the first reply containing the meta charset as correct.

If this is not your intention, please let me know and I will undo my action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines