Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ruined bootstrap.css?

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beginner. iMac High Sierra 10.13.2. DWCC 10.13.6

I have two open bootstrap files:  bootstrap.css and a blank. I am learning how to borrow code from bootstrap.css to a blank page. I close and reopen bootstrap and a new blank file when I screw up.  (I am following a Lynda.com course.)

Now when I open bootstrap.css, it's asking if I want to rewrite it. I have to click 'OK' or it won't open. Have I ruined the bootstrap.css file?

Thank you,

Cheryl <-- 60 years old, grey hair, please be gentle.

Message was edited by: Cheryl Ballantyne i.e. poor user editing skills

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Unless you're an expert coder, DO NOT OPEN Bootstrap or jQuery  files.  Never, never, never open them. You should be using a separate external CSS file for your custom styles.

Copy and paste this code into a new, blank document.  You can't edit these Bootstrap and jQuery files because they are hosted on CDNs.

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Bootstrap</title>

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" conte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're an expert coder, DO NOT OPEN Bootstrap or jQuery  files.  Never, never, never open them. You should be using a separate external CSS file for your custom styles.

Copy and paste this code into a new, blank document.  You can't edit these Bootstrap and jQuery files because they are hosted on CDNs.

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Bootstrap</title>

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

<!-- Latest Bootstrap 3 CSS-->

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.7/css/bootstrap.min.css" integrity="sha384-BVYiiSIFeK1dGmJRAkycuHAHRg32OmUcww7on3RYdg4Va+PmSTsz/K68vbdEjh4u" crossorigin="anonymous">

<!--CUSTOM CSS GOES HERE-->

<link rel="stylesheet" href="YOUR_STYLEHSEET.css">

</head>

<body class="container">

<div class="row">

<div class="col-md-10 center-block">

CONTENT GOES HERE....

</div>

</div>

<!--latest jQuery 3 JS-->

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.2.1.min.js" integrity="sha256-hwg4gsxgFZhOsEEamdOYGBf13FyQuiTwlAQgxVSNgt4=" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

<!--Latest Bootstrap 3 JS-->

<script src="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.7/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-Tc5IQib027qvyjSMfHjOMaLkfuWVxZxUPnCJA7l2mCWNIpG9mGCD8wGNIcPD7Txa" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

</body>

</html>

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Nancy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Lynda.com course are you following and which version of Bootstrap have you deployed?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Ben!

I am following "Designing Websites From Photoshop to Dreamweaver'.  I am on the lesson titled 'Create A Bootstrap file'.  I have done well  till this overwrite question kept popping up. I am enjoying it very much as I work toward a complete update of my charity's website (nothing has changed since 2010).

Your second question is harder for me to answer with my level of knowledge. In Dreamweaver, I am instructed go to File -->New --> New Document --> HTML --> Bootstrap tab. I'm instructed to select 'Create New'. Turn on 'Include a pre-built layout' and click Create. I hope that's the info you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines