• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seeing update issues

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't worked with DW for a while. Using lastest version of DW on a PC. I have updated a page and loaded a folder of files to the local site. Then uploaded all to the remote servicer. I can't see the update. Hold you breathe. Yes I cleared all components of cache, history etc out for MS Edge and restarted the browser. Multiple times. I also used a device that should never been to the page. In DW files panel I opened the remote view, files loaded, opened the offending page without dependents. Update is there as is the folder. So either something wrong with browser or the files are not on the server. I know it is something stupid, but can someone help me. The page is www.awarenessproductions.com/my.htm. Look under the Ws do you see Wright Brothers Memorial? Thanks for the help and your time.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that you don't have your remote root folder set correctly and you're actually uploading a directory above your publicly-facing site, or you've accidentally included your remote root directory in your local site folder, so you have a duplicate root online (go to yoursite.com/serverrootname to see if that's the case).

An easy way to check where your files are going, would be to...

Connect to your remote server
Click the Expand button (two squares icon) in the Files panel
Compare the local root to your server

Posting a screen capture here (block any sensitive info if there is any) will likely show what's gone wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jon. You are on the right path. I expanded the files view to see local and remote. Found on remote it had three folders not on local. DB, Logs, and wwwroot. Checked the file in the wwwroot and root folder. The one on the remote in the wwwroot was not updated the main directory file was update. So. do I just delete the wwwroot folder off of the remote? How did it even get uploaded? How do I ensure it doesn't get uploaded in the future. Thank you. Fayscreenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on the Date column in your files panel.  Right-click on your site folder and select Date from the context menu.  Compare date and time stamps to see exactly where your latest files have landed in the server's hierarchy.

DO NOT DELETE wwwroot.  I suspect that's your server's designated root directory where all public facing site files must reside.  My server's Root Directory is public_html.  See screenshot.

Site > Manage Sites > ServerSite > Manage Sites > Server

If unsure, contact your hosting provider and ask them which root directory you should use with your hosting plan.

Post back if you still need help.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went back and looked again. The wwwroot in the local drive has the file in question, but unchanged. The remote wwwroot folder has a copy of essentially the whole site with an unchanged version of the file. The changed version is remote root directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like your FTP settings are not set up correctly in DW. 

1. Verify with your hosting company that "wwwroot" is your remote root folder.
2. If they confirm that it is, you will need to remove it from your LOCAL site files.
3. You will then need to add it to the Root Directory field, the one Nancy shows highlighted with public_html in it
4. Reupload the site with the correctly configured FTP settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines