Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Lines of code in Dreamweaver 2020

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the newer versions of Dreamweaver the basic task of selecting lines of code has changed. Unlike previously, selecting a line number in code view & then shift clicking another line number of code below does not select that chunk of code & no combinations of modifier keys works to select the code, aside from selecting a line number & dragging down nothing I can figure out works to that effect, Does anyone know how I might select multiple lines of code in code view without having to scroll. Scrolling tends to crash my machine. Thanks.

Untitled-1.gif

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

I think what you're seeing is the difference between DW's old code view engine and the new Brackets implementation. A few other relatively basic operations were lost/changed when the new program was brought into DW.

Instead of clicking the line number, click the first insertion point in the actual code for that line, then shift click an insertion point after the last character you want selected in the last line of code.

The older versions of DW (2015 and earlier) would select the code block eit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this issue DW 20.0 Build 15196 under Windows 10.

When I hit Shift + Click in Code View, it correctly highlights the block of code.

It may help to restore preferences, that will catch a lot of odd behavior in DW: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I tried restoring my preferences but that did not work. Still same issue with selecting lines of code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible, though admittedly relatively unlikely, that the code erros on that page are confusing DW past the point of operating correctly.

Find the errors that are causing your code coloring to go sideways, repair them, and see if that doesn't bring code view back in line when you Shift + Click.

Go to http://validator.w3.org/nu to get a listing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure I'm understanding the question.  I have an open document with line numbers displayed from Code view options.   I click on 57, Ctrl+click on 58 and Ctrl+click on 59.  Result: All 3 blocks of code are highlighted (see screenshot).

image.png

If it matters, I'm on Win10 (1903 update).  Split with Live view.  My document is error free as denoted by the green checkmark in a circle. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.

I am refereing to something similar but a bit different. If I select a line of code say line 200 & then scroll to Shift Click line 300 previously that entire block of code would be selected, now that behavior is different, clicking 200 & then shift clicking on 300 does not select the entire chunk. In the case of shift clicking only 300 would then be highlighted, not 200 Thru 300. I have tried various combinations of modifier keys to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you're seeing is the difference between DW's old code view engine and the new Brackets implementation. A few other relatively basic operations were lost/changed when the new program was brought into DW.

Instead of clicking the line number, click the first insertion point in the actual code for that line, then shift click an insertion point after the last character you want selected in the last line of code.

The older versions of DW (2015 and earlier) would select the code block either way. The new ones appear to only allow the use of insertion points and not the line numbers (at least 2019 and 2020, but likely back to 2017 when Brackets was added).

code selection.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, That's It. Thank You! That's the type of behavior I was looking for.

So much easier & precise selecting line numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines