• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set up subdomain as new site

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set up a subdomain amd would like to define a new site in Dreamweaver using the subdomain as root.  However, when I try to set it up I get a message saying because the site folder is inside the site root that it will cause synchronization problems.  I certainly don't want that!  Can anyone suggest a way to make this work?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Browser , Code , How to , Other , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

The way in which server folder structures are configured (at least on Apache administered via cPanel) is there is a main folder called public_html where all publicly accessible files are uploaded. This is the server's root directory.

If you create a subdomain on the server, a new server folder is created for you inside your server's root directory.  So for example, if your domain is example.com and you create a subdomain called subdomain.example.com, the folder will actually reside at public_h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My site has a CMS with content stored in databases so I NEVER, ever sync files to server.  

That said, are you keeping local site folders in separate physical locations?  For example,

C:\MySite1\

C:\MySite2\

Or,

C:\testing_server\default_web_directory\MySite1\

C:\testing_server\default_web_directory\MySite2\

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm keeping them in separate directories.  What I have is:

websitefolder  and

websitefolder/subdomainfolder

I'm trying to set up a site in Dreamweaver with subdomainfolder as the root.  I have set up the subdomain on the server and set up an ftp account.  However, I absolutely cannot get a connection.  I worked with someone from my hosting service for an hour.  Tried lots and lots of things, but could never get a connect.  Cannot connect with username & password.  I assume some of my settings are wrong, but what!!??

My site server definition:

site name: support-remote

Connect using: ftp

ftp address: same as in working site

Port: 21

Username: editor

Password: as set up for working site/support

root directory: public_html/support

Web url: https://www.support.workingsite.com

Test result: 

ElizabethGailLittle_0-1610058232317.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way in which server folder structures are configured (at least on Apache administered via cPanel) is there is a main folder called public_html where all publicly accessible files are uploaded. This is the server's root directory.

If you create a subdomain on the server, a new server folder is created for you inside your server's root directory.  So for example, if your domain is example.com and you create a subdomain called subdomain.example.com, the folder will actually reside at public_html/subdomain/.  This is where subdomain files need to be uploaded.

If you continue to have trouble, please contact your hosting provider for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I have.  A domain support.example.com which resides at public_html/support.  I'm not having problems uploading or running!  I just would like to set up a site for the subdomain because I thought it would simplify.  However, I'm spending lots of time trying to get the site defined so that I can connect.  I think I thought the user could go to support without having to use support.example.com, but I'm now thinking that there's no way out of specifying the main domain & I have just gone off on a wild goose chase.  BLAH!  I feel like Charlie Brown on a bad day.  Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nancy says, the site in Dreamweaver will be setup as workingsite/support. This will put the files on the remote as public_html/support. The URL to the site will be https://support.workingsite.com (note: No WWW). This means that the remote needs to be configured accordingly.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO WWW?????  I didn't know that!  Thanks!  I'm still very confused about why it's not possible to set up a subdomain as a site.  I tried in the site definition to take out the www in the URL definition, but still no go.  But I'm going to stop trying.  Enough time wasted.  Again, thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I thought the user could go to support without having to use support.example.com"

The domain is necessary to find the server.

You could create a sub-folder in your main site called support

Place an index page inside the support sub-folder.

When users go to example.com/support, they'll land on your support page. 

Is that what you're trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines