• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Share DW CS4 site hiding the code from the receiver

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maybe using the wrong terms.  In DW CS4; I would like to send the DW site I made as a Draft without using a host.  Is there a way to send to a local server (my hard drive); send file out and the viewer able to see the end product of the site WITHOUT being able to see the code?

Than ks in advance !!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

the viewer able to see the end product of the site WITHOUT being able to see the code?

Only if you send them screenshots of the site.

If they can view it in a browser, they can see the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the viewer able to see the end product of the site WITHOUT being able to see the code?

Only if you send them screenshots of the site.

If they can view it in a browser, they can see the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your objective by not  hosting the site so everyone can see it online?

If you're building proprietary code, you should be using server-side scripts like PHP which browsers don't display in the code source.   HTML and client-side code is not protected.  Anyone can see it.

Or you could upload the site to a password protected folder on a public facing web server.  The only people who could access it would need a valid user ID and password.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important -This solution is not for a none coder.

One possible way to make a site difficult for someone to view the source code, is to package it as a Phonegap app.

This would only work on Android devices, without a fee being payable. It would still be possible for someone to view the source code, but that would normally require a developer with a very good knowledge of not just how phonegap works, but also the interest to do so.

Your site/pages would have to be html5/css/javascript complient, and have no external scripts, just in case the client wished to view/use off-line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other ways you could hide the code from the client, but why go through the trouble?

If you have a contract to create a website, there's really no reason to hide the code from a paying client.

I suppose you could write the entire page into the html using javascript, then run an obfuscation script to make the .js file unrecognizable. That would at least make the standard "view source" useless.

If you don't have a contract, and you're just attempting to drum up business with a "look what I can do" type site, wouldn't it be much, much better to meet the prospective client face to face and show them what you can do from a system you control? That way, you know exactly how the site/portfolio will function in an environment of your choosing and can guide the prospect through it while pointing out the "pro-you" items includedt vs hoping some add-on they're using doesn't stop your advertising piece from working and their in-house web guy doesn't pilfer your hand crafted widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II  wrote

I suppose you could write the entire page into the html using javascript, then run an obfuscation script to make the .js file unrecognizable. That would at least make the standard "view source" useless.

Never tried this for a js generated html page, but would not the 'view generated source' option still give you the generated html code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hence my note about the standard view source option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose we are back to the old answer -

If someone really want something from the web, they can get it.

Even if anyone does find a secure way of doing this, any good coder could probably work out how to do it themselves, without even seeing the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be a slow day today. Stop playing around with the kiddies. What with this thread and the one regarding AWS, its kind of light reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II  wrote

If you have a contract to create a website, there's really no reason to hide the code from a paying client.

That's why I don't do spec work.  Working for free is not an option.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines