• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Site setup for Images on a separate "networked" drive?

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time Dreamweaver user and have been plagued with a long standing problem that I have just worked around for years by working in code view. I would like to utiltize some of the WYISWIG features, but I struggle with our site structure.

We have a large site and have an app server and a web server. The pages of the site are XSL page and exist on one server. The JS, Images, LESS and CSS exist on our web server…  So locally, XSL is in Drive “S” and JS/Images/LESS/CSS are on drive “T”.  (our team works off a single shared development server that transforms the XSL... so we have a shared testdomain.com that we go to for our team.)

My struggle is when setting up the site within Dreamweaver, we get errors because the static files are “outside the site root”. When we preview in our browser, www.domain.com loads the XSL pages and the image references are /js  /images and such respectively… but they are on separate local dev server/drives.

Is there a way to set Dreamweaver up to work properly with this? Is there something I’ve been missing?

The only option I could think of would be for us not to use a shared server, but rather have a local test server and we "get" files from there to a single local folder however we need to structure it for Dreamweaver and then it would all check back into the right spot?   That is a bit more complexity that our team has wanted to manage in the past as we are design focused and not IT focused and not sure how complex it would be to get a functional local server running.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Have you thought of installing a GIT server to get the files to your machine and commit them back into the repository.when finished? This may mean a modified way of storing the files, but will give the added advantage of version control and backups.

See https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-What-is-Git%3F

There are plenty of articles on the web to show you how to install GIT for your OS.

Edit: forgot this Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought of installing a GIT server to get the files to your machine and commit them back into the repository.when finished? This may mean a modified way of storing the files, but will give the added advantage of version control and backups.

See https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-What-is-Git%3F

There are plenty of articles on the web to show you how to install GIT for your OS.

Edit: forgot this Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver CC.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We do use Microsoft Team Foundation Server already within our organization for code repository. So we get version control and backups that way. This is used by our IT team for all of our many IT platforms, projects and code.  They work in individual local sandboxes for their code and commit it back to TFS (like GIT).

With our team being designers, we have a shared dev server setup that we work off of.  The problem becomes is that resources of our site exist on different file shares.   And it doesn't seem that Dreamweaver has a way to specify that an image, js, css resource may exist outside the root of the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines