Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slider not operating when live

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I have a website live through Go Daddy put together in Dreamweaver, the problem I have is that I have added a slider to the top of the home page and it has always worked for about the last 4 years. It has now stopped working, dissapeared and for the life of me I can not find the problem. it works fine in Dreamweaver and GoDaddy say it works there end but the "Guide" did give me a magic 90 minutes in which it will start working, think his shift finishes then.

https://barrowwindowcleaners.com

Please go gentle, I am not high tech. Thanks in advance, James.

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

IF your website WAS working and it suddenly stopped working and you had done no updates inbetween time then it sounds like a hosting problem to me.

Websites  dont just suddenly stop working. What sometimes happens is web-hosts update their servers, even move your files to a different server (for some reason) and dont tell you. Of course they dont usually bother to test to see if this process has damaged the websites functionality.

Im not saying this is what definitely happened but its a possibil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look as though you have the jQuery library linked up to the page?

Page not found:

https://barrowwindowcleaners.com/ScriptLibrary/jquery-latest.pack.js

I've tested this and If you link up the jQuery library correctly the slider should work - I used the latest jQuery version - 3.5.1 although the guide says it works with version 1.4+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the site.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, thank you for your reply.

The website was built using one of Dreamweavers templates and obviously the included bootstrap. The website has been running for 4 years with only updates to images on pages and little content change from the customer. The problem with the slider just started one day about a few months ago for no apparent reason. We also lost loads of images which GoDaddy said was something to do with the html code on the images which he changed and then all was okay, but still no slider.

My point is, if the website was uploaded as is with the old Bootstrap and worked at the time, why would it after no real changes have an effect now?

The "preview in Browser also works with the slider as well which completely blows my mind as if it is a problem with all this, it should not work there, should it?

If it is the bootstrap and jquery causing the problem, How on earth do I update it in Dreamweaver.

I Thank you in advance as you have been extreamly helpful to me in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF your website WAS working and it suddenly stopped working and you had done no updates inbetween time then it sounds like a hosting problem to me.

Websites  dont just suddenly stop working. What sometimes happens is web-hosts update their servers, even move your files to a different server (for some reason) and dont tell you. Of course they dont usually bother to test to see if this process has damaged the websites functionality.

Im not saying this is what definitely happened but its a possibility.

Plus as this file below cannot be found suggests this file may not have been transfered if such a possibility occured:

https://barrowwindowcleaners.com/ScriptLibrary/jquery-latest.pack.js

Once you link the jQuery library file back to your website then your silder WILL work.

What you have to determine is, was the jQuery library ever linked in the first instance, have the website files been moved without your knowledege or was this just confusion on your part. It happens. I get confused all the time, on the other hand some strange things do happen, which makes it even more confusing and difficult to associate the blame on any particular party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again Nancy.

I have checked and they have indeed moved the files to a different server, even though I have now got an email telling me this they wont admit it, typical. I am going to add a new slider with all the relative files and add it later.

Thanks again. James.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines