• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some pictures loading, others are not...

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first website using Dreamweaver and it's for my company that I work for. 

Some of the images work, and others are just grey, I've tried what seems like everything making sure the naming is exact, saving as different files and nothing seems to be working. When I'm working on the code everything works and looks fine in the preview but when I upload and go live half of them don't work.

I have fixed some but broken others and I'm not sure exactly what it was that worked on the ones I fixed. Here is an example http://iconconsultantgroup.com/project%20-%20planning.html One picture is working and the other three are not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Code , Error , How to , Performance , Preview , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Your missing images are not uploaded to your server:

http://iconconsultantgroup.com/images/pinellas%20plan.jpg

This is the error message in the browser:

404: Page not found
This error is generated when there was no web page with the name you specified at the web site.

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Ensure the page you are linking to exists in the correct folder.

Check your file name for case sensitivity.

Check to see if the images are in the 'images' folder on your remote server.  As an a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your missing images are not uploaded to your server:

http://iconconsultantgroup.com/images/pinellas%20plan.jpg

This is the error message in the browser:

404: Page not found
This error is generated when there was no web page with the name you specified at the web site.

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Ensure the page you are linking to exists in the correct folder.

Check your file name for case sensitivity.

Check to see if the images are in the 'images' folder on your remote server.  As an aside note spaces in file names is never a good idea, you need to use underscores (see example code below) PLUS using .jpg and .JPG is very slack.

Use lower case and make sure your image name and your link/s are EXACTLY the same!

http://iconconsultantgroup.com/images/75pde.jpg

http://iconconsultantgroup.com/images/pinellas_plan.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!! So I switched everything to lowercase with use of underscores and removed any spaces.

I was getting so confused because I had the live preview up when I was building everything and then when I went live the images would be gone - it all makes sense now that they'd of course be missing from the remote server! 

THANK YOU so much!!! Everything is working perfectly now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Osgood already explained why your images aren't showing up.

A few things to be aware of:

#1 Your site is not secure.  The difference between a site with secure HTTPS and non-secure HTTP protocol is big.  Without SSL certificates installed on the server, site visitors are seeing this in their browsers. 

image.png

#2 Mailto: links.  Never  post an e-mail address online.  It puts your domain name and server at risk for exploitation by spammers.  Worst case, your site gets blacklisted for spamming even though you didn't do anything wrong.  Remove e-mail from your footer.

#3 Spaces in file names.  Not allowed in HTML5.  From the DW Files Panel, rename your files without spaces. or special characters.  You may use underscores _ or hyphens  -  but not spaces.

Overall, a really nice first effort 🙂  Keep up the good work.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making the site secure is on my to-do list, any suggestions of who to use to get the certificate?

Wow, I never knew that about the email addresses - the first thing I edited, thank you!

I switched all my file names to lower case and only used underscores. I really appreciate your review and tips!

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSL/TLS depends on how much security encryption, insurance and the level of validation that you require.  If you don't sell anything, you don't use log-ins and you don't collect any personal data, you could probably use free certs from Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare. 

For paid  certs,  I use Namecheap.com.  And they have a really good knowledgebase to help you through the hurdles..

https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificate-types/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines