Highlighted

Splash page revival (thanks to GDPR)

Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank Dave Merchant for bringing this up in the ACP forum. 

Legal heads-up about social media 'like' buttons and GDPR

I thought it a good idea to bring this to the public forum where more people will see it.

Advocate General Bobek says the operator of a website embedding a third party plugin  such as the Facebook Like button which causes the collection and transmission of  the users’ personal data is jointly responsible for  that  stage of  the data processing.   The operator of the website has to provide users with the  required minimum  information and obtain their consent BEFORE the  data are collected and transferred

See full text below.

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2018-12/cp180206en.pdf

Since tools such as the Facebook Like button transfer information automatically (users don't need to hit the Like button or have a Facebook account to be tracked),  the website owner cannot obtain that consent in advance, so the tools effectively become illegal. Any website using them would be open to prosecution even if the tool operator (Facebook) does not suffer a data breach. 

So what does this mean for average site owners?  A revival of the splash page -- only this time in plain vanilla.  No tracking scripts, cookies, social media or any other 3rd party widgets that could potentially collect users' data.   I think we should have a contest to see who can make the best  GDPR compliant splash page.   Extra points should be awarded for no JavaScript.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Splash page revival (thanks to GDPR)

Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank Dave Merchant for bringing this up in the ACP forum. 

Legal heads-up about social media 'like' buttons and GDPR

I thought it a good idea to bring this to the public forum where more people will see it.

Advocate General Bobek says the operator of a website embedding a third party plugin  such as the Facebook Like button which causes the collection and transmission of  the users’ personal data is jointly responsible for  that  stage of  the data processing.   The operator of the website has to provide users with the  required minimum  information and obtain their consent BEFORE the  data are collected and transferred

See full text below.

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2018-12/cp180206en.pdf

Since tools such as the Facebook Like button transfer information automatically (users don't need to hit the Like button or have a Facebook account to be tracked),  the website owner cannot obtain that consent in advance, so the tools effectively become illegal. Any website using them would be open to prosecution even if the tool operator (Facebook) does not suffer a data breach. 

So what does this mean for average site owners?  A revival of the splash page -- only this time in plain vanilla.  No tracking scripts, cookies, social media or any other 3rd party widgets that could potentially collect users' data.   I think we should have a contest to see who can make the best  GDPR compliant splash page.   Extra points should be awarded for no JavaScript.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 30, 2018 0
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Nancy for posting this here... I really like the Monika answer to it

"... The solution has been developed some years ago: Social-Media-Buttons datenschutzkonform nutzen | c't Magazin​ ..."

do you remember a year ago... ... in a thread concerning implementing a forum... I asked you (message #5) "... what is the interest and added value of using AWS instead of installing SMF on its own server independently ? ... I'm just curious..."

Re: Modified forums...

that was linked to this real purpose that we have now... GAFA ... if you have some minutes, just reread the thread thinking of this approach...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0