• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split View not working with PHP code

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Can someone correct my setup to see Split/Live view on bringing up a PHP code file with MAC OS Mojave?

Here is what I have set up:

Local Site Folder/Users/lestone2/Documents/DreamWeaver local_sites
Connect using: Local/Network
Server Folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs
Web URL: http://Macintosh HD/Users/lestone2/Documents/DreamWeaver local_sites/wordpress_new

Comment 1: All I am getting is blank screen.

Comment 2: I am thinkling that somewhere in these spec's I have an error or some key incompleteness. However, if I do not have any such problem, I am thinking that nothing in the Dreamweaver dialog boxes suggests that Dreamweaver knows how to engage and use the Apache interpreter that runs in the Macintosh (it is defintely running  -- which you know by enetering "localhost" in the browser dialog box. 

When I start MAMP Pro andclick on the Start Servers button, it runs for a while and comes back with a message that tells you it has linked up with Apache.  So when you enter "localhost:8888" you see the file and folder names in /MAMP/htdocs. 

The Dreamweaver guide points to no similar confirmatory test that I can run after doing the setup described above, and I am guessing that the Dreamweaver code does not have what is needed to link to Apache on the Mac.

So all we can do with Dreamweaver (on the Mac)  is edit the PHP code, and then execute/interpret it using MAMP Pro; because Dreamweaver (on the Mac) does not knmow how to interpret PHP code. I hope this is all wrong, and there is something amiss in my setup!

Help please! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you launch Mamp server and are all Apache and PHP processes running?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy! No I did not. From Mamp Pro, the following command brings up the correct page to my screen: “http://localhost:8888/wordpress_new/“. As you no doubt known my computer port 888 is used by Mamp Pro to talk to Apache. I then started Dreamweaver CC-2019, and here is the setup that produces the same screen inside Dreamweaver: Local Site Folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wordpress_new Connect using: Local/Network Server Folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wordpress_new Web URL: http://localhost:8888/wordpress_new/ At this point my only critique is that getting to the right setup is far too demanding in your clients ‘geekiness’. I found a couple of helpful Youtube videos on the detailed steps but they were poorly done, and none emphasizes that it is best to first get your usual route to PHP execution (in my case MAMP Pro etc.) working properly. (I even started PHPMyAdmin and brought up the correct database before starting up Drfeamweaver). Semi-finally, please give me an education here; because I have been wondering how the Dreamweaver development team got this software to interpret PHP code. Your question, and what I now achieved with your help, suggest to me that the Dreamweaver code relies (sort of) upon an another software (MAMP Pro, e.g.) first waking up the Apache interpreter (on the Mac) and then somehow the interpreter will respond to a ‘call’ from Dreamweaver to interpret a block of PHP code. And the setup of Dreamweaver parameters must be exactly right, in terms of following the same route that MAMP Pro laid down. Do I have this right? In any event, you saved me from the decision to more or less abandon Dreamweaver (except for occasional code structure analyses); because I am into stuff now where there is a great deal of mixture HTML and PHP within the same file. The Adobe software documenters should lay out the procedure very slowly and carefully (concrete example, step-by-step slowly), and the developers should aim to streamline to process of getting the right input parameters specified as we try to get Dreamweaver to execute PHP code. You can do a lot better (in terms of effective pedagogy) than that two relevant Youtube videos that gave me help. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My text below had lovely paragraph separators when I pasted it iunto thew screen; but they are all gone. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Up a PHP Development Environment in Dreamweaver

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/archive/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

As you can see from my screenshot, DW does render PHP code in Live View.  I am using Wamp server on Win10.

clipboard_image_0.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
(Note: "<<>>" below means new patragraph.) Yes indeed, Nancy. That is a very nice and comprehensive article to which you have pointed me. I actually bumped into it last night; but all the Windows stuff up front in the text got me to stop reading! So thanks. <<>> The exposition on MacOS application that comes along later in the text is very good; but it is quite a bit more complex than what I have used to produce the same successful interpretation of PHP code inside Dreamweaver that your screen shot shows (i.e., after seeing your first reply to me, I got a very similar screen shot from my effort today). <<>> So all is well here, except for communications strategy and tactics by the Adobe people. A person purchasing Dreamweaver CC today needs to have this article prominently put in their faces as an important resource since we now so often have to deal with pages that mix up PHP, Javascript and HTML. <<>> The MacOS related text should be set apart as a separate article with its own big title and META declarations to help with SEO. And I think it could be made less “geeky”, However, this is a minor point, as long as the accompanying tutorial screen shots are very detailed. As I said, this is a minor point — the article is good enough now. <<>> Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines