• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spry Menu Bar Working In Dreamweaver But Not on Site

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with a spry drop down menu in a template on CS5. In the templates the menu works and all the links are active. When I go to certain pages on the internal site, although the menu should be the same on all pages, some pages show only 1 menu item rather than the full list.

I've not actually been touching the menu's that are having problems until the issue was reported by another employee. So far all I have done is update information on pages and create a few text property classes.

I am new to dreamweaver so I do not know what the issue could be or how to search for it online. What I have searched for has been no help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

As already mentioned, Spry is outdated.  It lacks support for today's  browsers and mobile devices.  Personally I would not feel comfortable using it in a modern website. 

That said, ensure your Spry JS and CSS scripts are not corrupted and that they are uploaded to the proper location on your server.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of issues that could be causing the problem. So that we do not evolve into a guessing game, please supply a link o the (temporary) site or post relevant code here so that we can see what you are seeing.

Please keep in mind that Spry has not ben updated since 2012 and has been superseded by many other, more modern frameworks.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not actually allowed to supply a temporary link due to the information being confidential and being new to dreamweaver I don't know which code to send.

The really confusing thing is that when I upload the site and inspect the menu through Chromes inspect function, all the code is there for each of the menu items but only one item is visible.

I'm currently putting the entire site from the Local  view onto the remote server to see if there was any unsuccessful operations which might be causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sending code has nothing to do with Dreamweaver, the code could be in Notebook for all intensive purposes. Could it be that you are new to web development?

To help you out, start a new document and insert your navigation bar into it and see if that works.

You mentioned a template, is that a Dreamweaver created template or is this a commercial template?  This is where the guessing game starts.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for US DoD, so I know about the whole confidential thing, and understand.

Honestly, as Ben pointed out, Spry is outdated, and IMHO should not be used, anymore.  I'm not even sure how much longer modern browsers will support it.  So, get ahead of the curve and use something else.  jQuery or MooTools with a CSS library.  Get to learn the code.  It's not that difficult.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleas can you explain the more modern way insted of a spry menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pfudi  wrote

Pleas can you explain the more modern way insted of a spry menu?

In modern web development vanilla javascript or jquery or css is used to create a navigation system. A front-end framework like Bootstrap will have a default navigation built in using jquery. If you dont use a framework then you have to write your own navigation code or search Youtube or Codepen for 'responsive navigation'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but i don't think, I can do a ddrop-down menu with CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pfudi  wrote

Thank you, but i don't think, I can do a ddrop-down menu with CSS.

Never produced one myself. I stick to jquery or javascript solutions but below is a pure css responsive solution.....

https://codepen.io/andornagy/pen/RNeydj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found nothing in Codepen about dropdown menu, but I found something in w3schools, under CSS > dropdown menu.But thank you very much for ansering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a dropdown menu on Codepen at the link l provided in my previous post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be, but I don't find it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this it right! Under the link I found it! Sorry!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont you see anything when you visit the link. If viewing on mobile you have to click on the word 'menu'. If viewing on a desktop device then click on one of the navigation links with a plus icon next to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use a desktop computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you validated your code to see if html or css errors are causing your display problems on those pages?

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/nu

CSSL: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already mentioned, Spry is outdated.  It lacks support for today's  browsers and mobile devices.  Personally I would not feel comfortable using it in a modern website. 

That said, ensure your Spry JS and CSS scripts are not corrupted and that they are uploaded to the proper location on your server.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines