• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still developing in PHP 5.6

Engaged ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that the PHP version in the cPanel of a website I am currently developing was set by default at version 7. I have been using 5.6 in my version of XAMPP I donwnloaded new roughly 1 1/2 years ago which is not very long. Has everyone moved on to version 7 but me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, l think my mamp is 5.6 or even 5.4.

Quite a few of my websites are still hosted on php 5.6.or maybe some even 5.4. I dont see a reason to move onto php v7 unless it just happens. There are literally millions of sites out there stuck on 5.6 or less as they use the deprecated mysql function.

I dont know enough about php 7 to even kmow if l would use what new funtions are available and how they might benefit my workflow or if the code l produce now would not be compatible with php 7. l code using mysqli so whatever l code l assume would work on php 7, l dont use anything too advanced just the standard php stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main problem with using version 5.6, is that it will not be updated, (even for security problems) after the end of this year. So if you are looking to stay in this game for a number of years yet, it is certainly better to start learning and using version 7 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to stats only 14% of php sites use v7 so its a slow uptake given that v7 came out in dec 2015 l think. It might gather more pace once the security updates for 5.6 stop coming at the end of the year.

I guess its a case of why change the record when its not broke, no developer l know wants to give themselves unecessary headaches until it is broke. No client will understand or even want to pay for the migration if it cant or doesnt run smoothly.

The only thing l would advise is any new project going forward should use v7 hosting, There doesnt look to be any great changes apart from of course the defunct mysql function and a few others which l cant say lve ever used in my worflow.

When l get my new machine later this year l will download a more up to date version of Mamp. At the moment while everything is functioning l dont want to risk upsetting the apple cart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of reasons to move to PHP 7, most notably

it is faster

it is less bloated

it is more secure

it promotes better coding practices

It is true that the uptake of PHP 7 has been slow. This is due to the many PHP framework websites that have been built with PHP 5, in particular WordPress. Many, if not the majority, of these sites were created by people with little coding knowledge, giving the flow-on effect that results in the why-change-the-record-when-its-not-broke mentality. Others may call it sheer laziness.

Having said that, there is a more practical reason to change. In many aspects, PHP 7 is not backward compatible, which means it is either/or. Future development of a site using PHP 5 is akin to palliative care, while developing in PHP 7 is future proofing the site.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

that results in the why-change-the-record-when-its-not-broke mentality. Others may call it sheer laziness.

Factor in the cost of the migration of older websites, millions of them, and its nothing to do with sheer laziness at all in the majority of cases. You could apply that thought to developers who use Bootrstrap, is that sheer laziness, lack of coding knowledge, or is it in many cases about costs. If you are going to comment at least say something sensible. I agree on the other points you made about speed but considering the crap which is usually associated with many Wordpress template driven sites, bloated Bootstrap, bloated plugins etc, the speed needs to be more optiomised for those amatuer constructed sites, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to comment at least say something sensible.

Yes sir! I will keep that in mind.

Edit: Not sure why Bootstrap has been mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

Probably because you mentioned people with little or no knowledge creating web sites.

What does interest me is that now Adobe is buying Magento, a quick check of which version of php Magento requires shows 5.6, so either the difference between 5.6 and 7 is very minimal, and no changes are required to move to php 7 in a number of sites, (that do use pdo or mysqli) or Magento is already looking outdated.

https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/m1x/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

BenPleysier   wrote

What does interest me is that now Adobe is buying Magento, a quick check of which version of php Magento requires shows 5.6, so either the difference between 5.6 and 7 is very minimal, and no changes are required to move to php 7 in a number of sites, (that do use pdo or mysqli) or Magento is already looking outdated.

https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/m1x/system-requirements.html

I'm not sure there are many significant changes in php7 from php5 which would result in a website stopping functioning apart from the obvious shelving of the mysql functions. I looked at some of the deprecated code and I cant see anything there that I personally use. Again obviously there are some new additions to php7 but I don't know enough about them to judge whether or not I would include them in my coding, maybe.

From what I've read, which is not  a lot its mainly the speed which has been upgraded but I can't say it would effect the kind of websites I produce. I mean shite I keep getting told by my internet provider that they have doubled and now quadrupled the speed. I either see no differnce or its slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this will solve the problem New Magento 2.0 Resources and Support for PHP7 | Magento

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

If you are going to comment at least say something sensible.

Yes sir! I will keep that in mind.

In many cases migrating a website from php5 to php7 is NOT through laziness as you imply, its about costs, which need to be passed onto the client. Bootstrap gets a mention because that saves costs, according to you,  or you could look upon it as being lazy and lacking in code knowledge as you also imply.

I agree with you about the part going forward. Anyone considering using the deprecated mysql functions is really building a website which is yesterdays news. If you have a clean sheet then use whats current. If you still have to mauintain old websites well its a case of keeping them going until they break and then its easier to explain to a client they need to be upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with telling clients that their site uses outdated methods, especially for those who used the old SB's or a cms that used the mysql database extension in the last 8 years.

The php web site was telling developers as early as 2010 , NOT to use the mysql extension for new site development, so anything created in the last 8 years that did not use pdo or mysqli could be seen as the developers fault and they should at least share the cost of updating the code, (it could be argued that it should be done for free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

The problem is with telling clients that their site uses outdated methods, especially for those who used the old SB's or a cms that used the mysql database extension in the last 8 years.

They dont care as long as they work or if they suddenly blow up because of a security flaw. I have extreme difficulty communicating to any of my clients that their website is out of date, if its still working to them. I have several clients who still do not have mobile friendly sites but I've given up trying to tell them what a mobile friendly site is. I have clients who have never even looked at their site on a mobile device, new clients and old one. I even had a client ask me what I meant by 'mobile' device!!!!

I cant be bothered these days with clients who dont listen to my advice, as mostly I waste my breathe, time and again eventually I'm proven right. Clients who dont listen to my advice get charged more as opposed to those who do because they are always the clients who like to 'waste' my time, so they get to pay a premium to employ me, everything is noted and charged for.

pziecina  wrote

The php web site was telling developers as early as 2010 , NOT to use the mysql extension for new site development, so anything created in the last 8 years that did not use pdo or mysqli could be seen as the developers fault and they should at least share the cost of updating the code, (it could be argued that it should be done for free).

I don't think I have a website that isnt mysqli based, even the non mobile friendly ones use mysqli.

As for developers fault - those would mostly be websites created by those that lived on Mars or used DW then. When did that finally dump the SB panel? Considerably less than 8 years ago.

Anyway it probably needs an expert like DP to come along and give their thoughts on the significant differences and gotchas between php5x and php7x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

As for developers fault - those would mostly be websites created by those that lived on Mars or used DW then. When did that finally dump the SB panel? Considerably less than 8 years ago.

It's also a problem for those who used wordpress prior to 2013, as before that it only had the old php/mysql extension. I wonder how many of those old wordpress sites have ever, or will ever be updated.

At least Dw removed the SB's before wordpress stopped using outdated code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

It's also a problem for those who used wordpress prior to 2013, as before that it only had the old php/mysql extension. I wonder how many of those old wordpress sites have ever, or will ever be updated.

At least Dw removed the SB's before wordpress stopped using outdated code.

Dont know but php 5.6 will continue to get security updates indefinitely IF big enough flaws are found. I cant see that a large majority of those websites that do use less than php 7 workflow changing anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

php 5.6 is already in its extended EOL support phase, which ends on the 1st Jan 2019 -

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

php 5.6 is already in its extended EOL support phase, which ends on the 1st Jan 2019 -

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

I read somewhere recently that it would still receive security updates if those security issues are considered major ones, what that means I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

I read somewhere recently that it would still receive security updates if those security issues are considered major ones, what that means I don't know.

I think that was wishfull thinking, similar to those who use Muse and think Adobe will change their minds and not EOL it.

Speed wise, many of the improvements are associated with pdo when using other databases. As pdo can be used with about 25 different database types now.

I did read in the Muse forum of mail scripts failing when used with php 7, but trying to get more info out of the poster was like asking a bootstrap user about css, (joke ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

I think that was wishfull thinking, similar to those who use Muse and think Adobe will change their minds and not EOL it.

Probably or just another nightmare.

pziecina  wrote

Speed wise, many of the improvements are associated with pdo when using other databases. As pdo can be used with about 25 different database types now.

Don't know anything about pdo as I'm only likely ever to use a mysql database I'll stick to mysqli.

pziecina  wrote

I did read in the Muse forum of mail scripts failing when used with php 7, but trying to get more info out of the poster was like asking a bootstrap user about css, (joke ).

I think a lot of the time hosting companies switch the mail function off and force you to use SMTP. I've never has much success at setting that up so try and avoid it! I like to make my development life as simple as possible, others like to make it a PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PHP 7 is faster especially if you use Zend Framework.

PHP: Migrating from PHP 5.6.x to PHP 7.0.x - Manual

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

PHP 7 is faster especially if you use Zend Framework.

PHP: Migrating from PHP 5.6.x to PHP 7.0.x - Manual

Yeah, we knows its faster. The question is for what?

I bet if I was to transfer my websites on hosts running php7 I would see virtually no difference in download time. I mean they appear to me to be quick enough already. Might be an advantage if youre stuck up some mountain side with only your goat for company or have complex php to parse but if you're in a place which is fairly civil and produce run of the mill websites, as 99% are, then I can't see it making much difference to perfromance.

This faster speed time is all a load of kack to me. I'm told to minimise my js and my css and my html and I'll see big differences, nope nothing to see here. Most people arent wandering through the Gobi desert with their mobiles trying to find the next shop thats sells water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines