• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still no answer to server behaviors / database functions

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if anything is on the horizon regarding this topic. Quite some time ago I had to give up on DW CC because of the removal of this functionality. Seems it never came back, which is odd as this was a massively important feature of the software. Is there some sort of equally functional software or an extension which does the same thing? This persistent omission just seems suspiciously absurd. It’s like...if Microsoft just went ahead and removed all internet connectivity from Windows and expected everyone to manufacture their own network device and code their own drivers. When are server behaviors coming back?

TOPICS
Code , Extensions , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Server Behaviors got dropped because the code is obsolete and nobody at Adobe wanted to re-write it from ground up.  I'm guessing the bean counters said It was too costly and there wasn't enough reward potential in it.  They may be right because most DW users are building static HTML sites, not web applications.  3rd party extension developers like WebAssist and DMX Zone took up the slack for developers who wanted a visual interface.   And the rest of us learned to code manually and/or use frame

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This extension http://www.webassist.com/product/mysqli is the closest you will get to the original Dreamweaver server behaviours.

Another extension (or set of extensions) worth looking at is https://www.dmxzone.com/go/23295/dmxzone-server-connect/

Or if you want a fully packaged IDE, have a look at https://wappler.io/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice is to move on and find another bit of software, certainly don't hang your hat on the SB behaviours coming back to DW any time soon. Dreamweaver is on life support, many gave up on it sometime ago when Adobe took their eye off the ball, whether that was intentional or unintentional we shall never know as no-one ever answers from Adobe or are gagged from answering.

I suspect anyone developing extensions for Dreaweaver has seen their profits drop over the last few years to the point where they must be concerned if its viable or not to keep developing for it in any real capacity, or put their efforts into something more future proof and advanced. Dreamweaver got left behind in terms of a visual, drag/drop and click workflow. Its still a good editor if you want to pay a premium price but there are plenty of free editors available which are equally as good or better. It doesnt sit well in the current market place as it has nothing to offer which would warrant the price tag in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Server Behaviors got dropped because the code is obsolete and nobody at Adobe wanted to re-write it from ground up.  I'm guessing the bean counters said It was too costly and there wasn't enough reward potential in it.  They may be right because most DW users are building static HTML sites, not web applications.  3rd party extension developers like WebAssist and DMX Zone took up the slack for developers who wanted a visual interface.   And the rest of us learned to code manually and/or use frameworks.     

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Database and Server Behaviors will return back in the next version (fall 2020), at least that's what they said in the last "roadmap".

I think it's a good news for the future of Dreamweaver... and proves that removing this feature in the past years has been a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and proves that removing this feature in the past years has been a bad idea.

Six (6) years to be exact to fullfill a promise made 8 years ago. 

I think that arrogance has made way for common sense at last. 

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reserving judgement until I see what they implement and how they implement it ....

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I've seen this movie before...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines