Highlighted

switching out button tag throughout my website pages (40 in all)

Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little help please. my client just told me he wanted me to switch a button we had on his 40 page website from Music  to  Music Selections.

no problem. However, i don't want to go through 40 pages to switch every one of them out.

I went to FIND>FIND AND REPLACE IN FILES

but from there i still can't figure out how to change at once on all 40 pages the code that reads

<li><a class="drawer-brand-music" href="music.html">MUSIC</a></li>

TO

<li><a class="drawer-brand-music" href="music.html">MUSIC SELECTIONS</a></li>

if anybody has an easy answer it would be much appreciated. I am getting no response it seems when putting in the info and hitting Find And Replace.  I know i am doing something wrong.

thank you in advance for your help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

It's not too tough, as long as you're working from a Defined Site and the code is the same on every page...

1. Make sure the correct site is selected in the Files window
2. Hit Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + F (Find and Replace in Files)
3. In the Basic tab (the word Basic will be underlined), add the link code to the top field
4. Between the large fields, there is a dropdown menu next to the word "In" change that to "Entire Current Local Site"
5. In the bottom large field, add the code you're changing it to
6. Click Replace All

7. It will warn you that you're about to do something that is not "undoable" click OK

That should do the trick.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

switching out button tag throughout my website pages (40 in all)

Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little help please. my client just told me he wanted me to switch a button we had on his 40 page website from Music  to  Music Selections.

no problem. However, i don't want to go through 40 pages to switch every one of them out.

I went to FIND>FIND AND REPLACE IN FILES

but from there i still can't figure out how to change at once on all 40 pages the code that reads

<li><a class="drawer-brand-music" href="music.html">MUSIC</a></li>

TO

<li><a class="drawer-brand-music" href="music.html">MUSIC SELECTIONS</a></li>

if anybody has an easy answer it would be much appreciated. I am getting no response it seems when putting in the info and hitting Find And Replace.  I know i am doing something wrong.

thank you in advance for your help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

It's not too tough, as long as you're working from a Defined Site and the code is the same on every page...

3. In the Basic tab (the word Basic will be underlined), add the link code to the top field
4. Between the large fields, there is a dropdown menu next to the word "In" change that to "Entire Current Local Site"
6. Click Replace All

7. It will warn you that you're about to do something that is not "undoable" click OK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 11, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6. Click Replace All

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon,

thanks, however when i do that nothing happens and the box disappears.

please find attached screenshot. i know i missing something here.

drotar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images do not show up on the forum if attached in email.

To share screenshots, you need to use the forum interface in a browser.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take that back Jon, checking the other 38 pages and it's not changing

any of the other pages. it reading, "Not found in 2983 documents. what

gives?

d

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be an issue with how you're adding the code to the find field.

The F&R tool may also look for any white space you could have accidentally added before or after the text to be found. If you have a return, tab or space before or after the code to be found, that doesn't exist in the page, that "could" be tripping up your F&R tool.

Click the little Martini Glass/Check mark icon in the upper right of the F&R window. Make sure "Ignore White Spaces" is checked and try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did that. what i am getting is: Done. Not found in 748 documents.  that

means it is going through the documents but not seeing it. i moved the

animation folder out and the number changed from 2401 documents to 748

so i know it's looking in the same folder. odd this, no? it should be

very easy.

d

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you verified that absolutely everything is exact in the Find field?

Even something as small as a missing space between html attributes will stop it dead in its tracks.

Also make sure the field to the right of "Entire Current Local Site" has "[any tag]" showing in it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems to have worked. website is http://www.charlesfoxmusic.com    

thanks for your help. trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. went in

and changed it on one page then it suddenly changed them all. go figure.

d

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think my dreamweaver is buggy. when i view the split on the screen the

screen is white except for the drop down buttons. this just happened

recently. any ideas?

d

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have some structural errors in your code that could be causing issues in DW. It might be worth getting those fixed to avoid display issues and DW oddities in the future.

Run the validator under Files > Validate > Validate Current Document (W3C) or go to http://validator.w3.org/nu to get a listing of the issues.

DW features are very dependent upon clean/valid code in order to function correctly. It will do all sorts of weird stuff if it runs into too many problems it doesn't understand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0