• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbolic links in Site directory (Mac OSX Sierra + DW CC 2017.5)

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tinkering with a project where the copy must be translated into two languages. There is no easy way to do this. But I want to share the site resources between the two sites, such as stylesheets and images. So I created symbolic links to these assets in one DW Site that point back to the original DW site. Seemed like it was working great, I was able to sync to the remote server (which is set up similarly with symbolic links). Left DW and came back in, and magically one of the Sites was gone from Site Manger. That's weird. I created the site again, all is well. Except now the first Site disappeared from Site Manager. Apparently if there are any symbolic links from one Site to another Site, DW gets confused and wipes one of them out. So that's a bummer. But there has to be a way to do this without keeping copies of shared assets and copying back and forth between sites? Any suggestions would be appreciated . Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Symbolic links are an extension of an O/S. Dreamweaver's file system does not recognise these links.

This brings me to how I would go about developing a multilingual site using PHP. I would start with creating a session variable containing the language as the variable The language can be set in a number of ways, automatically by detecting the language of the browser or by user input like clicking a relevant flag et al.

Language specific files are created and pulled into the main document using the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symbolic links are an extension of an O/S. Dreamweaver's file system does not recognise these links.

This brings me to how I would go about developing a multilingual site using PHP. I would start with creating a session variable containing the language as the variable The language can be set in a number of ways, automatically by detecting the language of the browser or by user input like clicking a relevant flag et al.

Language specific files are created and pulled into the main document using the session variable.

A better explanation can be found at Building a simple multilingual PHP website - Query Admin

Sorry, the above example uses cookies, I could not find one using my preferred method of using session variables. The use of cookies may be a problem in some countries

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is a real need in DW web site management... since many years people require such a feature...

it is like having a project management instead of a site managment. that do mean that instead of setting the root web site, we could set the project... and in within the project we could define as many root as needed... some times for languages, some times for subdomain (hotline, forum, help...)... that way it will easy to set a middle shared ressources folder...

anyway, currently.... I've done it using a shared web site (siblings of both root site folders) where to put the css, js and core engine... the problem is if one have to use DW Template and DW Library....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, symbolic links have been a part of the Unix operating system for a long time, and have been part of the Apple OS ever since it adopted the Unix/Mach core.  Dreamweaver really needs to handle sym links properly if it claims to work on Mac OSes.  Giving a work-around for one specialized use of sym links is not enough of an answer.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many people have had this problem.  I certainly have.  At the very least there should be an option not to follow sym links when getting and putting whole directories of files.  Please make this a priority for a fix!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines