• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab ordering

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC 18.2, and I've been using Dreamweaver since version 2.0 in 1998 when owned by MacroMedia, and before that used ColdFusion Studio when it was owned by Allaire, so I've been around the block a few times and have been loyal to the editor.  However, your "enhancements" are causing me to look elsewhere. 

I tried using Sublime Text for a while, but it didn't do all the nifty things DW would do for me, so I went back and am still using DW.  Visual Studio was another I took a look at.  I code in ColdFusion, PHP, html, javascript, and jQuery, and have found that DW is still the best game in town to do all that.

I've logged in several issues on the bug reporting site, but not one thing posted there has ever been resolved.  Does the DW team even participate there and listen to its users?

One of my chief complaints is the way DW started handling tabs for multiple open documents.  I used to be able to use the CTRL-Tab keystoke to toggle between open tabs in the order in which they appear.  And if I were to click and drag a tab into a different position, it would still move from tab to tab in the new order in which they appear.  Now, since version 2018 (maybe 2017), when I CTRL-Tab it goes from tab to tab in some seemingly random pattern, supposedly in the order in which they were opened, or last edited, either way it's totally confusing and frustrating to use this.  Here is one of the discussions about this topic: DW18.0(10136) "CTRL + TAB" switching tabs wrong order – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

And don't get me started about dragging the tabs to change the order, which is almost impossible to do.  If you click and drag the tab and move the selected tab just a bit too high or too low it sends the tab to the end of the order!  Really?  I've never seen a tabbed interface do that.  For instance, in the Windows taskbar, I can click any open application's button and drag it into a new position no matter where I move my cursor vertically.  The older version of DW used to do this too, why would you break this?  In what world is this a "feature"?  Here is one of the discussions about this topic: Moving tabs doesnt work if tab goes outside of tab line – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

Please Adobe, pay attention to your users.  Please respond.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I avoid DW CC like the plague, I feel your pain.  However, it is unfortunate that Adobe doesn't care what their users want.  Adobe thinks they can tell their users what they want and the users will like it.  So I seriously doubt that Adobe will make any changes, because in their mind you like it the way it is, now.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > General...

Deselect Enable Related Files

Restart Dreamweaver.

The phantom tabs will be gone. Now, simply open the files you need open and they will behave like normal OS-based tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you didn't read my post.  I said nothing about "phantom tabs" or related files.  I've always had those turned off. 

I'm talking about files from the Files panel that I intentionally opened and the tabs that they occupy.  Please take the time to actually read the post before commenting.

BTW, I honestly appreciate that Adobe Community Professional responded, but please do so after reading the whole post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BillDane_VA  wrote

Apparently you didn't read my post.  I said nothing about "phantom tabs" or related files.  I've always had those turned off. 

I'm talking about files from the Files panel that I intentionally opened and the tabs that they occupy.  Please take the time to actually read the post before commenting.

BTW, I honestly appreciate that Adobe Community Professional responded, but please do so after reading the whole post.

That was a bit harsh. Allow me to tell you a couple of important things:

1. ACP means nothing. I was, however, one of the 3 original Dreamweaver Evangelists back in 1997. That meant something. Actually, no one would be posting in this forum without us.

2. Dreamweaver CC is a work in progress and most serious web designers should avoid it until Adobe gets it right. CS6 is the last really useful version and is available via your cloud subscription.

3. I read your post. First reaction is a poor chap who is angry and frustrated, rightfully so, but a condition that usually results in less than precise reporting of a problem. So I took a guess.

That said, With related files turned off, you actually can drag tabs around in DW 18. At least I can. The problem is that Adobe (and they are not alone in this) violate tried and true UX design principles. Their foibles in trying to a chic black UI (which I happen to despise) results in tabs that are too small in height to properly grab and drag properly. I can get them rearranged. But it is not as easy as performing that task in a UI that conforms more to standards and uses unaltered OS components.

So, sorry I wasn't perfectly in tune with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, wasn't trying to be harsh, just frustrated that you chimed in with a relatively unrelated solution. 

Dreamweaver used to be a great tool, but isn't so much anymore.  I wonder if they farmed out the application development overseas to save money and lost some of the quality control.  With just a few tweaks they could have a nice tool on their hands and might win back some of the former faithful.  Like I said, I tried using some of the other alternatives, but missed some of the little things that DW did right.

As far as tabs - yes, I know I can move them, but my cursor's vertical position shouldn't be so critical, I should be able to keep dragging the tab left or right even if my cursor leaves the tab area.  But my biggest complaint is still about the CTRL-Tab tab order - it should be sequential, left to right in the order in which they appear in the tab area, regardless of the order in which they were opened, moved, or edited.

Yes, I am a poor frustrated chap, but my initial write up of the issue was precise and detailed.  I happen to like the chic black UI (seems easier on my eyes), but at least they made it a setting to choose from.  Yes, they did violate some very basic design UX principles.  When you've got 20+ files open, I should be able to easily click and drag tabs in the order in which I want them, and then tab through them in a logical manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best option is to use CS6. It is available via the CC desktop application. Dreamweaver programming is, in large part, handled in India. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that there is a large disconnect between programmers and the history of the application: what made it successful. Dreamweaver used to be fast and open. It was designed to allow for extensions to "extend" its capabilities and automate certain tasks. Where Macromedia embraced and even promoted this connection, Adobe has attempted to steer users into becoming dependent on opensource code, such as Bootstrap to lay out their pages. This effectively relieves Adobe of any accountability in terms of support. So that's where we are now. It's a tough situation. I am probably a lone voice in this forum, trying to move Dreamweaver back to its roots. It's a formidable task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would _love_ to see DW go back to what made it excellent.  But I doubt it will ever happen; once moving in the direction they think is "forward", there's too much momentum to stop or turn.  I think Adobe should sell DW and CF to a company that will actually make them both fantastic.

But, again, I doubt that will happen.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats on the acp status ALsp​ I hope you have more success getting support for changing Dw than I did , (have you tried posting about Dw in the acp forum yet?).

I was a little late into Dw, (actually very late using it seriously) as my first use was with Dw 3, which I dumped in favour of homesite, which I thought was vastly superior to Dw until Dw mx was released with css support, but then again I was moving from MS offerings, which where and still are, vastly overcomplexed for web development alone.

The problems that the OP has, are no longer the exception, but the rule. I don't think it is the development team being in India that is the problem, more that the Dw managment and the majority of those they rely upon for feadback and testing not actually working in the web development field. Because of this, the use of Dw for the real world developer is no longer relevant, or upto the requirerments for the single or team developer who must use it every single day, and not just to maintain a single personal site, or write a book /produce a video, about using Dw.

To the OP - may not help, but the way you feel about filing bugs, asking for features, is shared by the majority, (probably of mainly ex users now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the ACP program, Al.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Welcome to the ACP program, Al.

Thanks, Nancy. The last honorific I had was as one of the original Dreamweaver Evangelists, back in the 90s. I hope I didn't make a mistake, but Tricia seemed so nice and understanding, and I couldn't resist this as an opportunity to bring change. I don't give it much of a chance, but I've been battling the odds for years. You never know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with your crusade!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that it will do much, if any, good.. but I'll be one of your acolytes.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade  wrote

I don't know that it will do much, if any, good.. but I'll be one of your acolytes.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Then I knight thee, sir Wolf Shade.

I have an idea... if you contact me off forum (asparber at projectseven dot com) I might have an interesting proposition for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done.  And my apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines