• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tables in Dreamweaver 2020

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Dreamweaver for many years now – in fact, I was at the program’s launch many moons ago. I use it because, apart from a rare edit in code (I am not what you would call a coder), most work on my quite basic websites can be done without opening code windows.

Until recently, I used CS5 because it worked for me. But my Mac won’t run CS5 anymore, so I have invested in Creative Cloud, which includes Dreamweaver 2020.

I used APdivs to construct pages and then finished the page by bundling them all in a Table – there was a command from a pull-down menu that would do it.  Now, I need to edit pages without starting from scratch – so I once again need to be able to create a Table containing all my APdivs. Can this still be achieved, roughly in the way I used to?

Be gentle please – I am a sensitive soul.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will be able to edit your pages without having to start over, however, I wouldn't recommend it.  AP Divs, while still valid could should be used with caution and only if you have an understanding of how they work in a responsive environment because in most cases they are not setup for this and your site will likely break in a mobile environment.

If this is a site that is important and you want it to be responsive, I would even recommend starting with the bootstrap tools in Dreamweaver which can be access via the Insert panel to insert a container (like your outermost container), and then insert your grid with rows and columns.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/user-guide.html/dreamweaver/using/bootstrap.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tables and APDivs for layouts were popular around the turn of the century.  But this crude approach to web design was never ideal, even when everyone had the same sized displays (800 -1024px wide).

Fast forward to the mobile & tablet age and the old fashioned methods became unusable.  In 2012-2013, Adobe did the responsible thing and dropped APDivs along with the option to make tables from them.  That paved the way to responsive web design that works across ALL devices, big and small. 

The fact that you've been using deprecated methods way beyond their shelf-life is because you didn't exit the CS5 train soon enough.  Now you get to play catch-up and rebuild your site to modern web standards.  The 64K dollar question is are you up for this challenge?  Can you break old bad habits and learn to work with modern HTML and CSS code?  It's not rocket science but like most things it requires some effort.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your sage comments. And you are quite right in
everything you say. However, I was asking for advice on how to
achieve something particular and I am no nearer as a result. My websites
exist and need updating and behave well online and with mobileds. But I am
struggling. I need a quick fix after which I am happy to attempt even
rocket science. I would be very disappointed to discover that Dreamweaver
is no longer for amateurs attempting good results as well as professionals
any more.

[E-mail signature removed by moderator as per forum guidelines.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would be very disappointed to discover that Dreamweaver is no longer for amateurs"

DW is used by quite a few amateurs.  But I can't provide something that no longer exists, sorry.

If you care to post a URL to your site, maybe we can come up with a sensible workaround to your current workflow.

IMPORTANT!  Please don't post personal information in a public web forum for everyone to see.  Either don't use e-mail to reply or disable your signature.  Please beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to help, sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to get hold of an older copy of Dreamweaver if you want to use the old AP layout features,  I think CS6 has the feature, try downloading an offline installer from here .... follow the instructions at the top of the page, you'll need to vist this page first and login with your Adobe signin before returning to the download page

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paul-M

Did you read the question? 

How is a former CS5 user going to get CS6 to work? It's no longer legally sold in any country. Besides Catalina can't support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP says he has a subscription, so unless he's running Catalina he can download, install and run Dreamweaver CS6 and it will activate, he can they use the AP DIV feature to make his edits as an emergency measure for the time being.

Your usual curt, condescending, arrogant, judgemental and frankly extremely rude posts  leave a lot to be desired as usual...

You are the No.1 reason I stay away from the Dreamweaver forums, I can't stand reading your replies, the rudeness and superior air of your posts are frankly pure snobbery, people of all levels come to the forums for help, regardless of their knowledge or expertise it doesn't give you the right to make the same type of condescending comments over and over again... I mean, just who do you think you are?

The OP came on the forum for help, they haven't asked for you to belittle them, use words like 'amateur' and act as usual like your opinion is the only one  in the world that matters.  Honestly you are unbearable....

If the people at Adobe are happy for you to continue speaking to people on the fourms the way do when their only crime is asking for help then shame on them ...

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"OP says he has a subscription, so unless he's running Catalina he can download, install and run Dreamweaver CS6 and it will activate, "

Adobe removed CS6 from the Creative Cloud desktop app last year.  New users only have access to the latest release + 1. 

If you still have access to CS6 it's only because you never removed it from your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
I only stopped using CS5 when I moved to Catalena and that now rules out
using CS6 by the sound of it. And I assume Big support it CS6 anyway.
I think I have managed a work around that will do in Dreamweaver 2020 for
now and this give me time to learn all the new tricks soon.
The good thing about Creative Cloud is that no longer is one obliged to
update by buying expensive one off iterations but can pay monthly to
keep up to date and adopt new ways if worming as they evolve.
However, any pointers to guides that describe the ways we did things 10
years ago and the ways we do them now - in layman's lasnguaue - would be
appreciated.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ben M gave you a link to the UserGuide and specifically how to work with Bootstrap in DW.  

Below are a few more links.  Feel free to post back if you have more questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines