Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Testing Server Not Pushing Files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me configure this feature.  I can manually Put the file, but I'd like to push automatically.

I have a Site with an IIS Testing Server defined.  The Site files and the IIS Testing Server are on the same computer.  They're connected using a Local/Network "Connect using" setting.

I have "Automatically push files to testing server" checked.  However, when I save, the saved file is not copied over.  I'm looking at the contents of the file through a text editor and the timestamp, rather than a browser which might cache a page.

I've tried a few different Server Models.  "None" is the most appropriate for what I'm doing.

I'm running 18.2 build 10165 on Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks,

Carl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

All of my documents are with a PHP extension, but that does not make them dynamic.

I think that what we mean is that a document that is dynamically populated is a dynamic document. But it becomes a static document once that information has been delivered. In other words, is there such a thing as a dynamic document?

I still feel that the article needs further explaining. We both know that the process does not work as we think it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My local site is in my testing server's default web directory.  See screenshot below.  So when I save files they are automatically saved to the testing server.  No duplicate files, no putting or pushing needed . 

CC-testingServer1.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy.  I'll keep this workaround in mind.

However, I'd like to sort out the source from generated code without having to resort to Cloaking or .gitignore.

I remember this function being there for a long time (as in 15 years ago).  Does it work for you?  If not, what does the checkbox mean then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bekwam  wrote

Thanks Nancy.  I'll keep this workaround in mind.

However, I'd like to sort out the source from generated code without having to resort to Cloaking or .gitignore.

Strange.  Not a workaround.  It's how I have ALWAYS worked with dynamic sites since DW 8.

Not sure I understand the 2nd part.   Why would you need cloaking or Gitmore?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some generated code from Composer in /vendor that I'd like to keep out of the source view as an example.  .gitignore would let me keep generated files in /vendor and have them not appear in the Git screens.  A site-specific file like a logo or config file too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps because you work alone... as soon as you work in a team and having a testing server in a LAN network.. you need to separate local and testing... or as Bekwam usecase (to separate material to produce from produced files only)

and that's true that since some version of DW the push on save option just have the check box in the site advanced settings... no more... the file is update and pushed when refreshing the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's focus this thread on the "Automatically push files to testing server" checkbox.  I can Save my file and manually Put it to the testing server.  I'm surprised that the checkbox doesn't have any effect and am wondering if it's a bug.

dw_screenshot.png

I tried a toggling "Always auto" and specifying a Server Model too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is important is to have an URL defined in the previous basic panel... but either in CS6 it doesn't work as I said previously

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help How to set up a testing server in Dreamweaver

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is that either if the checkbox for push on save is checked, the file (not the related ones.. the main file) is not pushed... and that is also the case in CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the article says

A dynamic document is automatically pushed to the testing server when you edit and save it

Does this mean that static documents are not automatically pushed?

I get the impression that the feature is not properly explained, meaning that it does not work as we expect it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, it is not an HTML document but a PHP one that is not pushed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my documents are with a PHP extension, but that does not make them dynamic.

I think that what we mean is that a document that is dynamically populated is a dynamic document. But it becomes a static document once that information has been delivered. In other words, is there such a thing as a dynamic document?

I still feel that the article needs further explaining. We both know that the process does not work as we think it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

documents are PHP conatining PHP inside...

when push on save is checked,

when URL is correctly defined,

when server type is informed...

save doesn't push anything

previewing on browser push the document

w10, xampp 3.2.2 dwcs6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben.

By setting a Server Model (PHP), my changes to a .php file are automatically pushed.  Regarding dynamic pages, this is probably a feature from the early days of the web where everything in a webapp would be a server side artifact (.php, .cfm).  Now, sites that are plain HTML files laden with JavaScript are "dynamic".

So, having a mytest.php and a mytest.html side-by-side, a change to mytest.php gets pushed while the change to mytest.html doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can send a movie if needed but here none file are pushed ? DWCS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines