• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

That awful syncing feeling

Advocate ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to DW 2018 and wanted to apply the settings from the previous version. The only way to that is by syncing with prefs from the old version. After installing nothing happened about initiating that process, so I started sync. Then a dialog came up (after about 10 min!) telling me there was data from a previous version, so I clicked the button to download that sync data. Nothing happened except the spinning blue circle for another 10 min, then the little blue sync arrows appeared on the sync icon at the top right. I waited over two hours and nothing changed. I closed and restarted DW and tried re-syncing. It froze and I needed to force quit. Tried again, and the same again. I signed out and signed back into CC and I uninstalled and reinstalled DW, and started all over again and the same thing happened again as described at the beginning. DW 2018 is broken.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

dv8kiwi  wrote

Thanks, trying again to sync took overnight (over 8 hrs) and it still hasn't synced (the blue arrows are still there). My internet connection is 100 Mb/s, how fast does it need to be?

Sometimes Dreamweaver hiccups on the slightest problem. The process should not take longer than half an hour. If, after that, the blue arrows remain, restart Dreamweaver and all should be well.

Incidentally, I doubt that you will get the full internet speed at any time. Due to my WiFi , my nominal 100 M

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So given that syncing doesn't work, how else can I get my previous settings from 2017 into DW 2018? AppData?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you enabled Automatic sync in sync settings in Preferences.

Please see below documents and see if they resolve your issue:

Troubleshoot Adobe Dreamweaver synchronization issues (Mac OS and Windows)

Let us know if you still face the issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have tried auto and manual syncing. It will NOT get my 2017 settings at all. And syncing is VERY SLOW.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. When I sync 2018 everything seems fine eventually. Sync completes, but nothing changes. My 2017 settings are not there. I have checked that my 2017 is in sync beforehand.

So what is the workaround? How do I get my 2017 settings into 2018? Can I copy stuff from App Folders or something?

With this DW sync settings issue and Indesign not updating prefs, and those who do manage to update prefs getting all sorts of bugs, this release has been a pig. I think Adobe needs to take more care before they release, as a customer I am sick of this suck it and see approach. Releasing betas on the customers seems to be the new norm since they have captured us in the subscription model and I am not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody out there help me????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lnayal​ posted this on the Pre-release Forum:

Please delete the existing folders/entries for 19.0 listed below and relaunch DW CC Next - Sites should be migrated.

Win:
Registry - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Common\19.0
Explorer - %AppData%\Roaming\Adobe\Common\19.0
Delete DW CC Next preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html )

Mac:
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/19.0
~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Dreamweaver CC Next Prefs
Delete DW CC Next preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html)

If you do the same by substituting 18.0 for 19.0, I think that you will get the following scenario when you re-start Dreamweaver

Once you have clicked Download sync settings, the 2 arrows in the top right hand corner will turn blue symbolising that it is in the process of syncing. This will take some time depending on the internet connection.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, trying again to sync took overnight (over 8 hrs) and it still hasn't synced (the blue arrows are still there). My internet connection is 100 Mb/s, how fast does it need to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something is interfering -- maybe your firewall or antivirus settings.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy,

I switched off Windows Defender and the sync finished for DW 2017.

WD is supposed to let me know when the firewall blocks a new program, but it never did for DW - either version - why?

I have now added "rules" to allow Dreamweaver 2017 & 2018.

But when the sync finished it told me that "new settings are ready - apply" and when I applied I lost ALL my settings in 2017 as well!

In prefs "conflict resolution" was set to "use local files". It doesn't seem possible to update the cloud with local settings!!

What are we supposed to do?

And how do I get my settings back??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would close the new version of DW.  Open your old one and sync settings to the cloud.  

Close old version.  Open the new one and import sync settings from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the old one (2017). I realised I had a backup of AppData and restored the \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US folder. I got my settings back but I don't want to lose them again. How do I get my 2017 settings to the cloud so they can be applied to 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on Sync Settings icon -- next to your workspace.  See screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what I did.

This is precisely what happens:

1. Dreamweaver freezes for about 20 minutes, after I click "sync settings",  with that little sync settings panel open at the top right.

2. the two blue arrows appear when DW eventually unfreezes, and remain there indefinitely.

(btw, with Windows Defender rules in place I tried syncing again, but after that first "successful" attempt where it deleted all my settings, it has gone back to the two blue arrows being stuck for hours on end. I have checked back for the Win Defender rules I set and they are still there.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dv8kiwi  wrote

Sometimes Dreamweaver hiccups on the slightest problem. The process should not take longer than half an hour. If, after that, the blue arrows remain, restart Dreamweaver and all should be well.

Incidentally, I doubt that you will get the full internet speed at any time. Due to my WiFi , my nominal 100 Mb/sec gets between 60 and 70 MB/s, fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a folder for 19.0 at all! It only goes up to 18.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dv8kiwi  wrote

I don't have a folder for 19.0 at all! It only goes up to 18.0

Perhaps you did not read what I said! 19.0 is the pre-release version while 18.0 is your version. If you substitute your version where the pre-release version is mentioned, all should be well.

Seeing that you cannot make the Sync work, what about trying the old fashioned way of backing up the version 17 settings and importing them into version 18. See for more How to import and export Dreamweaver site settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I didn't realise this was still available in 2018. Sites only but that's the big one. I still can't get sync to work, but I have the sites now and have have slowly set all my prefs, shortcuts, workspaces manually from scratch in 2018. It would be good if everything could be manually imported given that sync is obviously so unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines