• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tidying a web site

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running a Family Tree web site for well over sixteen years and I started out using Cute.F.T.P. Later I started using Dreamweaver on the insistence of my tech savvy daughter. The site now contains well over two thousand files comprising of birth, death and marriage certificates together with copies of parish baptisms and marriage records plus photographs that pertain to each person that appears on the site, and that is about three hundred and fifty at the moment.

As I have never had a lesson and have picked up the running of the site as I went along. What I like is to find away to manage to site and maybe have some face to face lessons, so that the information imparted to me, sticks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

If I'm reading this correctly, you have created a labor of love that has morphed into a 10,000 lb gorilla.  And  learning Dreamweaver is not going to fix that problem. 

Your family tree should be in an online database that can be searched, filtered and cross referenced.   There are several online services as well as stand alone software products you could use. 

I suggest looking at Genealone.  It's stand alone sever software that uses PHP & a MySQL database.  It's also available as a WordPress p

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone will be able to give you one-on-one lessons, but I have been trying to think of a book you could read, and the only one I can think of is the 'classroom in a book' series for Dw.

The problem with the books though, is that they will contain only a chapter, (possibly) about site managment, and as such may be expensive for the help they will give, (still cheaper than other methods).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I'm reading this correctly, you have created a labor of love that has morphed into a 10,000 lb gorilla.  And  learning Dreamweaver is not going to fix that problem. 

Your family tree should be in an online database that can be searched, filtered and cross referenced.   There are several online services as well as stand alone software products you could use. 

I suggest looking at Genealone.  It's stand alone sever software that uses PHP & a MySQL database.  It's also available as a WordPress plugin.   You can try it before you buy it.

Genealone | Genealogy Website For Everyone

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines