Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unusable lag on new Dell XPS 13

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm wondering anyone else is experiencing lag times while editing in split or code only mode in the latest version of DW CC.

Each typed or pasted code update I make locks up the code area for between 18 - 20 sec before appearing.

I've updated drivers, spoken to Dell support and made changes but it's made no difference.

I'm tearing my hair out and just wondering if there's something I have missed in permissions, security.. anything!

Thank you for your help !

Machine Spec

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
  • 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
  • 13.3'' 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Hello,

it is a context and a situation that are known...... and this since CC 2017, but it is true that CC 2018 has become by far a very unstable and completely unusable application (depending on the systems and contexts of use)...

many bugs, log files have been sent to the development teams, but it remains as it is....

for this reason I returned to CS6 which allows me to work in project management in a suitable way. Well, the code editor must be replaced by a contemporary editor, and the FTP clien

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

it is a context and a situation that are known...... and this since CC 2017, but it is true that CC 2018 has become by far a very unstable and completely unusable application (depending on the systems and contexts of use)...

many bugs, log files have been sent to the development teams, but it remains as it is....

for this reason I returned to CS6 which allows me to work in project management in a suitable way. Well, the code editor must be replaced by a contemporary editor, and the FTP client must remain external... but this platform is comfortable... compare to CC2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Birnou. It's such a shame to see a good program become so bloated as to be unusable. 

I tried going back to CC2017 which worked fine on a Toshiba Kira and it was actually worse despite the step up in processor, cache & RAM which makes no sense.

I've been using DW since it was Macromedia but sadly I no longer have any older copies after so many years.
Is it possible to download older versions on the Adobe site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you can download it from the desktop app...09.27.2018-06.39.05

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic I never knew that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool... the question now is to know if CS6 will be still running either if the CC account is not ?... I think that you will need some serial from the hard copy if so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just loaded and it's running. I'd guess it's accessing the same licencing as CC which I need to keep anyway but I'm tempted to find alternatives for the other products I use. InDesign is really my only stumbling block for now.
Thank you again, I've been using text editor but it's just that bit more fiddly then DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Birnou's advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So someone buys a new computer in 2018 and wants to use the latest Dreamweaver, the best advice is "potentially" needing to go backwards to use older software released in 2012? That's a pretty sad and revealing example regarding the current state of Adobe & Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I have no latency problems with DW on Windows 10 version 1803.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what are your computer specs and do you also use the Home version of windows Nancy OShea​ ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Home

Dell Inspiron 3847

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 CPR @ 3.60GHz

System: 64-bit OS, x-64 based processor

RAM: 16GB

Display: No pen or touch

Hard drive: 1.80 TB (1.44 TB free)

Graphics:  Intel HD 4600

Anti-Virus: McAfee

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I contacted Dell they basically said to use DW on a desktop machine like yours.

Strangely I can use Photoshop and even Premiere & After Effects without any real issues except that rendering needs to be set to software only as the onboard graphics render a pink & green colouring (known issue).

I wonder DW is utilising the GPU ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I run the latest version of Dw CC 2018 on a 4-year-old Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Win 10 Pro with 1.90Ghz and 8GB of RAM. It has been solidly stable on this machine.

If you want to try earlier versions of CC as opposed to backtracking all the way to CS6, the Creative Cloud app does allow for that:

Be sure to back up your files before giving it a try.

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anissa_thompson  a écrit

For the record, I run the latest version of Dw CC 2018 on a 4-year-old Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Win 10 Pro with 1.90Ghz and 8GB of RAM. It has been solidly stable on this machine.

when you say it's been solidly stable... to test it and meet an amazing stability... is that

you produce on real websites, i. e. you open dozens of pages from one to the other, write and modify code by hand,  more particularly JavaScript....

that you have put and get files online,

that you have done this for different websites, moving from one project to another, by not necessarily closing files between two project exchanges..... because you just run back and forth in between projects

that you have launched searches on the whole site... then does a search / replaced on dozens of files...

because if that's what we're talking about,... on my side, I had to relaunch Dreamweaver several times to perform these tasks, not to mention the number of force even due to untimely stagnation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely... I manage a 700+ page segment and another separate 200+ page segment of my university's website content on a daily basis. I use Dw's check-out system to manage file sharing with another team member and his Mac-based configuration (also running Dw CC 2018). At any given time, I typically have 15 to 20 files open from these as well as other projects, editing in Code view and previewing in Live View (while feeding our site's live CSS and JS files through my local connection). The smaller section of the site requires a live FTP connection, and we also have an outside developer who uses his Dw setup (*not sure what version he's using) to contribute from time to time to course schedule updates. We do Find/Replace searches regularly, sometimes on individual files, and others, sitewide.

If you don't mind me asking, for the sake of clarification: are you connected to a live/external hosting server or networked drive at the time when you're experiencing the lags? I'm wondering if there may server issues/incorrect port or firewall settings, server passive controls, or other related issues that could be explored. If so, your hosting provider may be able to give you more finite setup instructions to make sure everything connects properly. If you are local but running a local server, consider double-checking that as well; incomplete or out-of-date settings, plugins, etc. could be potential factors.

And of course, as a last resort, I'm hesitant to suggest considering a system back and clean install of CC to be on the safe side...

Hope this info is helpful...

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woaw... you impress me... working on coding and handling so much files on a surface pro... I give you my hat...

thanks for inquiring, you're welcome, .... so... concerning the local files, we don't work on server but on local...except for some project where we use Synology's solution, because we really need to work live on those files...

usually all the remote server are handle by our team (dedicate on that purpose)...

now, the fact is that when working with DW we met so much trouble of lags.... (not when using CS6... only since 2017... then worth with 2018)... but when working with Netbean, SublimeText, Ultra Edit... we never have any lags... same files, same moment, same test... so the problem reall comes from DW... at least it doesn't happen with other tools.

any idea ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to address instability by doing a complete uninstall, followed by a complete reinstall of Dreamweaver 18 on a high end Dell XPS laptop. However, what is not fixed is the way in which Dreamweaver 18 starts up after a system boot or after not having used it for a time. In that scenario, it can take minutes for me to gain normal control over the UI. Since I would never dream of using CC for normal work, my solution is easy. When I am going to test stuff in 18 I disconnect from the internet before starting Dreamweaver, which then starts as quickly as CS6, with no instabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting... could be the subscription verification server process causing the lag?? Maybe the product team could chime in...

/cc Preran

Hope this helps!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't just uninstall DW 2018... but all the CC applications, then I uninstalled CC Desktop... finally the engineers at Adobe took control of the machine to clean up the folders that could be lying around, as well as some modifications in the registry... the next step, if there had been one, would have been to reformat the disk... (</joke>)

it took me a real real real long time to reinstall everything...

and you know... what.... the latencies are still there....

as you said Al... the only solution to make DW effective is to disconnect the internet connection cable... but hey.... to develop web apps, without internet... uh...

amazing isn't it !!!

well CS6, Sublime text and nodejs are here around.. lucky am I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I find really speeds everything up is using the Creative Cloud Cleanup Tool​ to clean up creative cloud components that I don't need, I'm not using sync and after having a tinker with CC libraries not using that component either, so I do this:

Launch the cleanup tool:

After selecting language and agreeing to terms, select:

Option 3.  Creative Cloud 2018, 2017, 2015, 2014, Creative Cloud & CS6 Products

From the available options I've been safely able to remove the following components without it affecting the Adobe programs I have installed (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop and Premiere):

Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop

Adobe Application Mnager

CC Library

CoreSync

CCX Process

I just periodically install the CC Desktop app to check for updates and repeat the cleanup process.

You could also look in Windows Services, there might be some Adobe services you can safely disable too.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines