Highlighted

Update to Dreamweaver 20.0 - cannot set-up include files

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Dreamweaver 20.0 and now I cannot set-up include files for access.  Going into the Apps, Default apps, set defaults by apps, Dreamweaver, manage - include files are not listed.  

How can I add the file extension to Dreamweaver.  I've read that I can edit the extension.txt file, but can't find it.

TOPICS
Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Update to Dreamweaver 20.0 - cannot set-up include files

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Dreamweaver 20.0 and now I cannot set-up include files for access.  Going into the Apps, Default apps, set defaults by apps, Dreamweaver, manage - include files are not listed.  

How can I add the file extension to Dreamweaver.  I've read that I can edit the extension.txt file, but can't find it.

TOPICS
Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your question.  An include file can use any extension you like.

include.html

include.htm

include.php

include.shtml

include.shtm

etc....

Includes are parsed  by your local testing server (aka localhost).

Which local testing server have you installed and defined in DW Manage Sites?  

Local siteLocal site

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to set Dreamweaver to recognize .include files.  I was able to set .html, .htm, .css, .js, but not .include

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 0
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little bit difficult to understand exactly what it is you want to do... Are you trying to:

1. Add/Change the default File Types / Editors that Dreamweaver "roundtrip" edits files with? (For example, right-clicking on a .jpg inside of your Design View will bring up options to Edit With... in Photoshop, etc.) --> See Edit > Preferences > File Types/Editors
  2. Have include files (.js, .php, etc.) read inside a generic .html file?
  3. Change your OS's default programs/applications based on the file extension?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to Preferences, Dreamweaver is not a choice.  I was able to change the OS defaults for .html, .htm, .css, .js but not .include.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 0
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For purposes of using includes on a server, you can use any  extension you wish.  But to associate a file type with DW on your local computer's OS, you probably should use a standard / recognized 3 character file type  -- .txt, .htm, .php  --   as .includes is not a standard file type.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 1
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be trying to do something like this: 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2020 0