Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading a php-formhandler after changing the form does not work

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

I have a curious problem. Maybe only for me?

When uploading my webside including a simple contact-form and the form-handler.php file to send the Datas to my email address, everything works fine.

But when I upload the form-handler.php once again, the contact form produces an error!

It doesn't matter wether the uploaded form-handler.php is changed or not!

I use a MAC (OS: Sierra), Dreamweaver CC, FTP, passive mode, Port 21, no Problems to connect my PC via FTP to the server with dreamweaver.

When I use my old Windows PC with an FTP-Programm to overwrite the form-handler.php - I had uploaded with dreamweaver before - everything is OK again!

Sorry, I have no exercise of writing englisch.

This error makes my crazy. I cant't use my old windows PC to upload the PHP files every time!

Can you give me a hint how to change the way dreamweaver transfers data via FTP  to the remote server?

Thank you very much for reading,

Christian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Windows and Macs use different Line Breaks.    CR LF = Win, CR or LF =  Mac/Unix. 

Using a Windows PC and a Mac to transfer same files up & down from server can introduce conflicts in the line beaks which might explain the script errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows and Macs use different Line Breaks.    CR LF = Win, CR or LF =  Mac/Unix. 

Using a Windows PC and a Mac to transfer same files up & down from server can introduce conflicts in the line beaks which might explain the script errors.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Nany OShea,

thank you very much for your quick very helpful answer.

Switching the preferences in DW running on a MAC to "CR LF (Windows)"-Format fixes the problem.

Is this logical? Never mind - it works!

I the meantime I made serveral changes to my form-handler.php and the form runs even after uploading it on the server.

Because the problem belongs to the Server I use - it might be interesting for other users - my webside is running with a Linux server.

So using Mac, Linefeed as "CR LF (Windows)", as descibed by Nancy, with a Linux server seems to be the right combination.

Thanks,

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines