• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading renamed files

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to rename a folder that will result in updating about 1,200 pages with links to files in that folder. I know that if I change the folder name in DW, it can scan the site to update all the links, but that's on my local server. How do I change them all on the remote server?

Thanks.

Madeline

(fwiw I'm using CS6 on a Mac)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

What I understood was that you wanted to rename a folder. Dreamweaver will handle the local change of links for you. You then upload the changed files with the modified links as well as the files that have been placed in a new folder. All you need to do now is to removed the old folder from the remote.

Alternatively, you could change the name of the folder on the remote which will save you having to upload the files to the new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Make the change locally and because all of those 1,200 files have changed, they must be re-uploaded.
  2. On the remote, create a new folder with the same name as the changed local folder and up load your files.
  3. When all is well, delete the redundant folder with contents from the remote.
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pages that contain links to the files in the folder are in various other folders all over the website, which has 9000 pages...

I found an option to automatically upload files on saving. Would that do the trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure!!

Do remember to remove the redundant files/folders form the remote after all is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meaning it will upload the changed files as new ones, not change the ones on the remote server, right?
The problem is that I don't know where all those redundant files are. When DW finds all the links to change, can you get a log or a list of all those files, so you know where they all are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I understood was that you wanted to rename a folder. Dreamweaver will handle the local change of links for you. You then upload the changed files with the modified links as well as the files that have been placed in a new folder. All you need to do now is to removed the old folder from the remote.

Alternatively, you could change the name of the folder on the remote which will save you having to upload the files to the new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I could do the following:

1. turn on synchronizing/auto-upload

2. rename the folder and let Dreamweaver update all the links on my local server

3. wait while Dreamweaver updates all those files to the remote server

4. delete the old folder on the remote server

Remember that I am dealing with more than a thousand pages in various folders on a website that has about 7000 pages...

Thanks, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a site that large, why do you want to rename the folder?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a good reason to do so, but it's too complicated to explain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

madelinekoch  wrote

We have a good reason...

I hope so. 

Make sure you have reliable backups of everything before you start on this.

If your site was dynamically generated, this would be a very simple thing to do.  But since you've got a 10,000 lb gorilla to manage, it's not so simple.   I would wipe every file from the remote server and replace with local site contents.

Good luck!

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not dynamically generated. it is indeed a 10,000 lb gorilla, a behemoth actually, because it is still using the same structure and coding that built it in the 1990s. (It has very basic needs, luckily.)

So you are suggesting that I replace the entire behemoth? It is exactly for that kind of reason that we have not made similar changes over the years.

But even with smaller global changes like this, I'm surprised that Dreamweaver doesn't make some kind of a log to capture the files it's updating on the local server, so you would be able to trace or double check what files are getting updated, beyond the quick thing that pops up. Something that you could print out. For example, I searched the whole site for code containing the name of the folder (which is how I know there are 1200), and I could save that as an xml file (which is not very helpful to me, until I figure out how to read an xml file in a sensible way).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines