Highlighted

uploading

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Dreamweaver CS4, which I think goes back at least a decade. I know, move on. But it has worked well until recently. Problem: when I edit a webpage on my computer and attempt to upload it, it doesn't make it - no change, no denial window. when I visit File Zila or File Manager at Verio I can find the file and they (Verio) can upload it, but I can't. The path is the same in Dreamweaver as it is at Verio and File Zilla - it's as if I am living in a parallel, but unconnected, universe. Clue: I used to have what appeard to be duplicate folders on my hard drive, User, me, the website folders . . .. now there is only one set. I have been advised that I mayh have retained the computer User files, but not the program User files. Does that make any sense? Does anyone have a clue how I can do whatever, so that uploads are possible?

TOPICS
Import and export, Product issue, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

uploading

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Dreamweaver CS4, which I think goes back at least a decade. I know, move on. But it has worked well until recently. Problem: when I edit a webpage on my computer and attempt to upload it, it doesn't make it - no change, no denial window. when I visit File Zila or File Manager at Verio I can find the file and they (Verio) can upload it, but I can't. The path is the same in Dreamweaver as it is at Verio and File Zilla - it's as if I am living in a parallel, but unconnected, universe. Clue: I used to have what appeard to be duplicate folders on my hard drive, User, me, the website folders . . .. now there is only one set. I have been advised that I mayh have retained the computer User files, but not the program User files. Does that make any sense? Does anyone have a clue how I can do whatever, so that uploads are possible?

TOPICS
Import and export, Product issue, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you try to upload using DW, make sure the FTP Log is open.

Go to Window > Results > FTP Log to open it, then upload. What does the log say is happening?

I'm guessing you either have a duplicate root folder locally that IS being uploaded (it's just set up wrong), or you're missing the server root and you're being denied access to upload to the directory effectively "above" your sie root.

It's hard to say without seeing your settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asgree or have had confirm most of what you are talking about here. I am simply told it cannot connect to the internet OR more recently it says nothing but it doesn't get done either. The server root issue is, I agree, likely. As for the folder situation, this is my strongest candidate at the moment. I save from DW, and it is r eflected in File Manager at Verio. So it is going somewhere. I just can't find where it is! This is supported by the fact that all saved changes show up outside my computer. Verio has uploaded the changed files for me at times. But this is obviously a flawed long time solution, eh? The key for me it seems is I have to find the ghost files for the website. Is this a delete DW? and then re-install? thing . . . .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, deleting and reinstalling will not help in any way. It is a site definition problem.

When you say...

"I save changes from DW, and it is reflected in the File Manager at Verio"

That doesn't make sense unlesss the file are being uploaded to your hosting company (FTP is successful, it's just going to the wrong spot maybe). If the files are being uploaded, but Verio needs to find them and put them in the right place, all that would mean is that you have a simple root folder mismatch in your Site Definition (settings) between your local and remote copies. 

What you need to do is verify that you have your Remote Root Directory set to whatever Verio uses (usually www, htdocs, or public_html but could technically be anything they want). You then need to make sure that the contents of your local site's root folder (whatever it's named, the top-most flder in DW's Files window when you have your site definition selected) are being transfered directly into that Remote Root Directory without transferring the folder itself. Transferring the folder itself would make a duplicate on the server accessible by going to yoursite.com/public_html (or whatever the remote root is) and require someone to move it to the correct location.

There was a bug in DW that required the folder to be entered a couple of times before it would "take" and maybe that's what's causing your issue here. Again, without seeing it directly it's hard to say.

When you connect to your site with DW, click the Expand button in the Files window (double square icon). That will bring up a side by side representation of your remote and local site. Take a screen capture of that and post it here. That will show very quickly whether you have your site set up correctly in DW.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the root (sorry) of my problem I suspect - there is a mismatch - here is an image of the task you asked of me: remote vs local.

What I was trying to say is that somehow or another Verio is linked to the folder on my computer that actually contains the saved changes because they have it and can in turn upload it for me - done this via Chat. I am quite convinced the problem is at my end and the task before me is : How do I find this other folder? Or alternatively: How do I start anew?dreamweaver sxs.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verify it with Verio, but it looks to me like your Remote Root folder should be public_html but isn't set in DW.

To do that...

1. Make sure public_html is the correct folder with Verio
2. If it is, go to Site > Manage Sites
3. Click your site and hit Edit
4. Click the Servers heading
5. Click the Remote server and hit Edit
6. In the window that comes up, make sure public_html/ is set as the Root Directory
7. Hit Save
8. Redo the steps I gave you earlier to view a side by side comparison of local and remote servers, you should now see /public_html at the top of the Remote side with your actual site files inside. Uploading updates should now overwrite your current site files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0