Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

v2020: Live Preview in browser without confirming of saving the file

Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

after years of using CS6 it's the first time in v2020 – using the live browser preview. Thought, DW saves changes in the background and reloads the web page in the browser in the background, too. But each time, eg after typing some chars and making a short break, I will be asked to save my changes:

19-11-23_shot_002.jpg

That's not the "sense" of this function, isn't it? 

thanks a lot!

mycc

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

I stopped using Real-Time Preview because it doesn't get along with my local testing server so I disabled it in my Preference settings.  See screenshot.

image.png

For the type of work I do, Static Browser Preview works better.  After saving document, refresh your browser with Ctrl+R or F5 or Ctrl+F5..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If working with PHP files, switch to Design view from your document toolbar. 

CC-LiveView.jpg

Live View must refresh after each edit and that can slow you down considerably.  I mainly work in Code/Design view.  I use Live view to occasionally check my layout.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

At the moment I have no PHP code in my file. Editing a file with suffix HTML makes no difference. The live preview in none of my browsers work.

Even after following https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/previewing-pages.html 😉

19-11-24_shot_001.jpg

[Post edit]

Hmm, just tried to insert the bootstrap component "responsive video embed" in the preview mode. I have to switch to the live view mode:

19-11-24_shot_003.jpg

But after each change this message box to save the document appears again and again  – without any effect to the browser view:

Hmm, maybe it would be the best 😞 for using my good old autohotkey script/macros for getting a preview in one of my browsers just by hitting one key:

19-11-24_shot_007.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[this forum editor has a problem with one of my screenshots...]

But after each change this message box to save the document appears again and again  – without any effect to the browser view:

19-11-24_shot_006.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped using Real-Time Preview because it doesn't get along with my local testing server so I disabled it in my Preference settings.  See screenshot.

image.png

For the type of work I do, Static Browser Preview works better.  After saving document, refresh your browser with Ctrl+R or F5 or Ctrl+F5..

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

.... ah, just in preview mode I recognized that I have to save the file (ctrl-s) so that the file is automatically updated in the browser (and not as expected without having to save the file). But, hmm, why can't I find this feature in the online documentation?

By the way: this behavior is very similar to my little autohotkey script used for years in CS6 😉

But here in Germany it's 2 o'clock in the morning. 😞 Therefore: good night! 😉

And especially: THANKS AGAIN, NANCY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines