• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing pictures without scrolling

Participant ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning. I'm trying to attempt this feature in this link NIGEL BARKER where my pictures show up, where the viewers don't have to scroll. On the right hand side, the scroll bar doesn't scroll up and down, moving the image. It looks like an auto scroll to adjust the image content. Is this feature possible in Dreamweaver? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature is certainly possible, (view source in browser to see how it is done) but if you view the page on a tablet in landscape mode, (the most popular orientation for viewing the web on tablets) the effect fails completly.

I can see only part of the images under the main image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I view it in the "view source." I see his code for the images, but nothing related to the scroll function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the jquery files and you will see one called event.move.js -

https://github.com/stephband/jquery.event.move

There is also a masonary.js file for building the layout, (the ones behind the main img) and a main.js file that has the code for the move.js. You will also have to view the index.css file.

But as I have already said the entire effect fails on tablets in landscape. Which means that if you use it you will have to code a fallback for those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

But as I have already said the entire effect fails on tablets in landscape. Which means that if you use it you will have to code a fallback for those.

I must be looking at something competely different - what efect are we talking about - all I see is an image which looks to be set to 100% depth of the browsers viewport and a scroll bar on the right, which does nothing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to use the scroll wheel on your mouse to see the images Os. I'm not certain if a Mac has a scroll wheel, if not then that is another reason against its use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

You may have to use the scroll wheel on your mouse to see the images Os. I'm not certain if a Mac has a scroll wheel, if not then that is another reason against its use.

Nope havent got one on my magic mouse. Im sure there must be some key function I can hold down though to emulate a scroll wheel.

Edited:

Silly me all you do on a magic mouse is run your finger backwards and forwards, but nothing happens on the website....hummm.....just causes confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the arrow keys.

I have to say that although the design, (once you get into the site) looks good, this is one of the worst functional sites I have see in recent times. If a site is unusable, with many features not clear how to use, and some failing completely, then it is a waste of time and money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I have to say that although the design, (once you get into the site) looks good, this is one of the worst functional sites I have see in recent times. If a site is unusable, with many features not clear how to use, and some failing completely, then it is a waste of time and money.

I agree. I think the developer of this one has tried to be too clever and not really tested it thoroughly enough to make sure it works without being confusing. I think this could have been produce just as effectively but using much simpler methods or if you are going to use more advance methods, which I have no problem with, at least test, test, test and test again!

I tried the arrow keys - nothing - so Im not really sure what it is Im supposed t be looking at or how its supposed to work...........at least the images are good though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I just looked at that page on a tablet...........functionality - 'nil points' from the UK. I do now see the images under the large image but thats because the large image doesnt fill the depth of the screen in potrait mode but I have no idea what youre meant to do with the small images under the large image as they keep dispaearing and seem to do nothing if you by luck can click on one of them...............awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least we are now all in agreement regarding functionality .

osgood_  wrote

... but I have no idea what youre meant to do with the small images under the large image as they keep dispaearing and seem to do nothing if you by luck can click on one of them...............awful.

I think the small images are there for insertion into the main images frame, (sort of a lightbox effect, with no user interaction from thumbnails), but as I could not get the UI for the index page to work 'correctly' if that is there use, I cannot say for certain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<joke>all you and os need now is a balcony</joke>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont really know what you mean by 'viewers' don't have to scroll?

if you set the image height to 100% of the browsers viewport an image will fill the height and the user wont have to scroll to see the full sized image.

All that site is doing is using  huge images which in 90% of cases will fill any screen depth although on massive screens the images might detriorate when they attempt to cover the depth.

The scroll bar is I think NOT necessary, what is it doing - you cant scroll anywhere so why is it even there?

Although the site is visually pleasing, mostly as a result of the super images, the actual construction of the website leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Have you widened and narrowed the browser viewport to see what happens to the naviagtion on the page you gave the url to, thats not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Os,

The images are underneath the main image, but scrolling must be done to see them by touch on a tablet. Also on a tablet in portrait mode, (the only orientation usable) the scroll 'bar' indication is visable on scroll.

The images are being 'called' via json when they enter the viewport, so with my slow 12Mb connection I often get a blank screen as they load.

To the OP. This may look at first glance a good idea, but looking more carefully at it, I would not recommend using it. It could be a good opportunity to learn though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Os,

The images are underneath the main image, but scrolling must be done to see them by touch on a tablet. Also on a tablet in portrait mode, (the only orientation usable) the scroll 'bar' indication is visable on scroll.

I've not got my tablet fired up at the moment but on a desktop I don't see any images under the main image? All I see is the one big image, a non-functioning scroll bar to the right and when I click on the x icon in the top right hand corner it takes you back to the homepage where a different images is served up each time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thread hijacking or tangents, so I'll stick to your question.

My answer is:

The gallery you are using is full of programming holes. In addition to Paula's adroit comments about touch devices, there is no keyboard support.

When using open source plugins, you need to be sure you can get focused support. Some of the volunteers here might be able to get you sorted, but it will cost them time. Your best bet is to track down the author of the plugin in see if he or she will help. If that's not possible, then you need to make some decisions, which I think you should be aware of in lieu of other threads you have recently started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing images without any user interaction is most commonly achieved with carousel sliders (automatic slideshows).   The one to choose depends on several factors:

• Compatibility with other scripts in your site.
  • Static or dynamically generated.
  • Supported features and options.
  • Ease of use.
  • Budget.
  • Coding skills.
  • Target audience.

One commercial example:

Full Screen Slider

Open source with Bootstrap & jQuery

Bootstrap Carousel Full Screen - Stack Overflow

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And of course, if you want something superior in coding quality to WOW Slider and (more importantly) with a completely automated user interface (Creation and Editing) that installs into Dreamweaver, then I believe PVII might offer some interesting commercial counterpoints to "WOW":

Art Gallery Magic Demos

Art Gallery Magic: In Motion Marketing

PVII Full Screen Slide Show: Thumbs Driven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines