• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the correct method of using DW to upload to subdomain

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a main domain and I configured DW to upload changed content via FTP - all good so far.

I added a subdomain and again configured DW to upload changed content via FTP - still good.

Now the problem:

I edit a file on the subdomain then..

If I go back to the main domain and sync with the server, the subdomain file is sent.

That makes sense I guess as the subdomain is just a sub-directory off the root (where the main domain files are).

It's just that I don't want that to happen. If it edit index.html in main and subdomain, I get a conflict.

I am new at this and I assume I did something wrong. I only have one ftp account (the original for the main domain) and the configuration differs in the root directory and the WEB URL.

Not sure what other information is needed for a diagnosis - best to ask. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

I want to be able to update the two WEB sites independently.

Thanks

Jack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Thanks but if possible, I would like to use the sync facility. I am rather new to WEB development but I bring with me an aversion to introducing manual steps into a development procedure.

I'll hunt a bit more but as with rsync, there should be a way to exclude a sub-directory (the sub-domain) when syncing the main site.

Edit: I solved the problem - DW calls it cloaking. I cloaked the sub-domain directory.

Thanks for your help

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have 2 separate site definitions?

Site1

Site2

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do. It is within the separate site definitions that the server options are set:

• Connect Using (same for each)
  • Root Directory (WWW root for main and the appropriate sub-directory path for the subdomain)
  • WEB URL (each has its own)

The FTP connection credentials are also set there for the common FTP account.

Thanks for responding

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's getting in your way, do what I and other DW experts do. Disable file sync.   I never use it because I know exactly which files need to be uploaded to server (Ctrl+Shift+U) and which do not. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks but if possible, I would like to use the sync facility. I am rather new to WEB development but I bring with me an aversion to introducing manual steps into a development procedure.

I'll hunt a bit more but as with rsync, there should be a way to exclude a sub-directory (the sub-domain) when syncing the main site.

Edit: I solved the problem - DW calls it cloaking. I cloaked the sub-domain directory.

Thanks for your help

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines