• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats in a job title?

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to lighten the mood, this thread is not to be taken serious.

Over the years I have noticed that the titles given to describe peoples job have changed dramatically, not just in what is allowed, but in the 'status' connected to them.

As an example I can remember asking what someone was doing, and what the job title was, (back in 1980, I think it was). The person was making floorboards for jumbo jets, (the things you walk on) and I was told by the supervisor that he was, 'an interspace structual engineer'.

I and probably Ben can remember back to the 50's upto the 70's, when the title engineer was exclusively reserved for people with relevant degrees only. So what has happened since then, that anyone can add the title 'engineer' to their job description, and it has become so common to do so that it no longer has any real meaning. If you have watched the latest Microsoft add for AI, (artificial intelegance) in their products they refer to the programmers, (and possibly everyone else) as engineers, even the programmers of Dw and other Adobe apps are called engineers.

So given that they develop using mainly html, css, javascript and ocasionally C++, (remember web assembly has arrived) should we as web developers now change our job title, to -

Internet site engineers.

Just my suggestion.

Anyone have other examples of inflated job titles, and how we should describe ourselves now, (without getting too serious)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Digital Marketing Presence Engineer"

MOAR WORDS, MOAR POWAR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never like the term "Webmaster."  I prefer "Internet Godess."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Nice, but lets not allow the men of this forum get above their station, (we both know they are still little boys ).

I refuse to call them Gods

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea   wrote

Nice, but lets not allow the men of this forum get above their station, (we both know they are still little boys ).

Lowercase works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

pziecina   wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea    wrote

Lowercase works for me.

O mighty god, can you tell me

​No, sorry just does not work for me AL .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Anyone have other examples of inflated job titles...?

"Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler" (Episode 30, The Honeymooners, 1956)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amusing, thank you Paula for the opportunity to be lighthearted.

In my uni days, I had a period where a group of us would stand in the back of a ute (utility truck) and preach the Word while others would be handing brochures to passersby. On one occasion a person explained to me that he was a Recycling Engineer or, in other words, a garbage collector.

In that same period, I drove a taxi part time to pay for my studies. In the early hours of the morning I would be driving Professionals (girls of the night) back to their own homes.

The latter is the reason why I have shied away from describing my work as professional.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysierr

In that same period, I drove a taxi part time to pay for my studies. In the early hours of the morning I would be driving Professionals (girls of the night) back to their own homes.

The latter is the reason why I have shied away from describing my work as professional.

Probably accounts for the real reason why Paula gave up her ACP badge. Was not too comfortable being associated with 'A lady of the night'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BenPleysier  wrote

On one occasion a person explained to me that he was a Recycling Engineer or, in other words, a garbage collector.

Reminds of the Equal Rights Amendment years when American housewives wanted to be called Domestic Engineers.   

In the US, we say "P r o s,"  "W o r k i n g  G i r l s" or "E s c o r t s."   Some list their profession as "Model" because while it's the oldest profession, it's still illegal except for a few rural counties in Nevada.

EDIT: This forum doesn't like my words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines