• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is "MySQL Connection dialog box in Dreamweaver"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone give me a clue please? You'd think when the instructions say to open this, there would be some documentation somewhere on how to do so. I've searched the menus and help and the forum to no avail.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

To answer your original question, see https://www.dmxzone.com/go/21842/enable-server-behaviors-and-data-bindings-panel-support-for-dreamweaver-cc/ to download and install an extension.

Please take not of what is stated, namely

We would like to remind you that Server Behaviors have been deprecated for quite some time and for a very good reason. They use an outdated connection method that's been deprecated in the current release of PHP and very soon will be removed completely, which means that your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please elaborate so that we can answer according to your circumstance.

• the version of Drteamwevare
  • the origin of the instructions that say open this
  • the version of PHP
  • whether you want to code for the present or for the past
  • anything else that may be relevant
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest version of everything, Dreamweaver is CC 2017, My server host is RHEL 7.3 and PHP is the latest version available through "yum update". Likewise everything else.

I have no idea what coding for the past means, I need a MySQL database on the backend of a web server and found this link to setup the connection:

How to connect to a MySQL database in Dreamweaver

At the bottom of the page it tells you open this dialog with no instructions on where to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your original question, see https://www.dmxzone.com/go/21842/enable-server-behaviors-and-data-bindings-panel-support-for-dreamwe... to download and install an extension.

Please take not of what is stated, namely

We would like to remind you that Server Behaviors have been deprecated for quite some time and for a very good reason. They use an outdated connection method that's been deprecated in the current release of PHP and very soon will be removed completely, which means that your websites will no longer work.

Precisely what this means is that the extension (Server Behaviours Panel) will not work with the latest version of PHP. This is presumably the same version that you're using. That is why I asked if you wanted to code for the past, i.e. PHP 5.

To advance from here, you either need to code by hand or you need to install a different extension such as

To learn about coding by hand see PHP CRUD Tutorial (part 1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I wasted a couple hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong only to discover the process on Adobe's webpage is obsolete misinformation?

Thanks for the pointers, I just wish Adobe would cull the old crap from its help site. Very unhelpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frontrange80921  wrote

I just wish Adobe would cull the old crap from its help site. Very unhelpful.

I can't argue with that.  The outdated Help docs need updating.  That particular article is only useful to legacy Creative Suite users who have a server running older PHP 5x.  A disclaimer needs to be added to the top for current product users.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several years later and the same useless information still exists on the Adobe site, not to mention that you have to shell out close to $200 to make this jacked-up money grab of a sad excuse of software to support something that it had supported in the past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is dead for those who lack coding skills, has been for a long time, move on and find another way. I dont quite know why Adobe have not publicly Eoled it yet. They have gone so far as to inform that its minimally maintained now. I guess they consider it a 'free' application if you have cloud membership and it might come in useful for anyone living in the past. Editors despite their lack of new and up to date features can still be used and useful, denpending on how much you can manually code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree whole-heartedly! this new dreamweaver sucks bad. usually an upgrade provides more functionality with a simpler design, but Adobe is the only software company that removes features and functions and changes the background color and calls it an upgrade charging more for it. Luckily I have CS6 on my computer, because it still has all of its capabilities.

I was getting so frustrated looking for the database connection panel, then I go to support and they tell me how simple it is, "you just have to setup and define your parameters in the MySQL dialog...the problem with that is the MySQL dialog was left in india with all the other features that were removed or subcontracted out to whoever. I've been trying this new version of dreamweaver for 8 months and haven't been able to make a single website with it, because I have to revert to CS6 because of time constraints. Tonight, I gave it a shot, and it says I need to make a database connection, so i click ok, and t sends me to DMX Server Ext, but that tells me it doesn't even work with DW CC, so my questions is, Why would anyone install Dreamweaver CC, if they plan to do any kind of web design, Bootstrap 4 is more capable than this p.o.s. program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the 1st January 2019 (less than 9 months away), PHP 5.6 will have reached its end of life. This also means the end of MySQL and the deprecated Dreamweaver Server Behaviours (SB) panel.

If you persist in using CS6 with the SB panels, you will be risking the future of your websites as well as ill-serving your clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you point us at a tutorial describing the correct way to use PHP in a dynamic website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still back end sites that work fine internally without the need to migrate. Forcing customers with specific needs to upgrade their entire back end is assinine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! You are stupid right up to the moment that PHP5+ is pulled from the server. Great advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This topic is more than 5 years old.

As of today, most commercial hosting plans are using using PHP 7x+ which does not recognize deprecated server-behavior connections.  Use them at your own peril.

Sensible app developers know this and have already switched from deprecated MySQL connections to improved MySQLi, PDO or client-side solutions.

You can code modern connection strings manually which is NOT rocket science.  Below is an example with PHP & MySQLi.

<?php
$con = mysqli_connect("localhost","your_username","your_password","database_name");

// Check connection
if (mysqli_connect_errno())
  {
  echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: " . mysqli_connect_error();
		}
		else echo "Successfully connected, happy coding!"
?> 

<?php phpinfo() ?>

Or use commercial extensions. 

This discussion is locked.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines