Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows & Mac cross compatibility??

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So this year I'm studying web design at college and I will be using dreamweaver in my classes. I was wondering if its possible to work on dreamweaver files on a windows computer at college then access the files on my Mac at home?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bennorman98  wrote

Hi,

So this year I'm studying web design at college and I will be using dreamweaver in my classes. I was wondering if its possible to work on dreamweaver files on a windows computer at college then access the files on my Mac at home?

Thanks

Yes of course. As long as you have the site-definition folder on both machines set up correctly for Dreamweaver to find it there will be no problems.

The site definition process is set up at the outset of the project to allow Dreamweaver to keep track of were the files associated with your website are located on your machine/s, - so just go through the same process on both machines and once set up copy and store your website folder in the same location where the site definition points to, on each machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks

Hi - Would be useful for you to learn the basics of GIT if you're moving between machines or if you prefer a simpler method, keep a copy of your site files in a dropbox folder or some other cloud storage like One Drive, Google Drive etc .... GIT would be your best option IMO, but if you never used it before there's a bit of a learning curve.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize​ You mean working with an online service like Github or Gitlab, correct? Because GIT by itself is local versioning, and won't help the OP here.

GIT is not Github, and vice versa.

bennorman98​ It is indeed a good idea to set up a Github account, and create an Github repository, load up your project files, which then become accessible on any machine with Git and/or a visual GIT client.

However, if you are just beginning web development GIT and Github may be rather obscure to work with. An alternative is to load up your files to a file service like Dropbox to share project file between your school machine(s) and your home computer. It is crucial you learn to work with GIT versioning at some point, though.

PS why is that college using Dreamweaver at this point in time? Sets off alarm bells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize You mean working with an online service like Github or Gitlab, correct? Because GIT by itself is local versioning, and won't help the OP here.

Yes obviously, we use GITLAB here ... But as I mentioned there's a learning curve, however the curve wouldn't be as steep for a single person/user to learn as apposed to teams.

Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver CC.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayek.elfin  wrote

PS why is that college using Dreamweaver at this point in time? Sets off alarm bells.

Probably because Muse is EOL.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayek.elfin  wrote

Correct, should NOT be studying Dreamweaver specifically but html and css initially. That opens the door to be able then to use/try out any editor to find a suitable option. I'm hearing those alarm bells, very loudly.

However the OP does say they are using Dreamweaver, which may be a pefectly good option if the course is teaching html/css and not just Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no, we are studying html, css and js but lecturer said we will be using dreamweaver this sem

Thanks for all your replies though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bennorman98  wrote

Oh no, we are studying html, css and js but lecturer said we will be using dreamweaver this sem

Thanks for all your replies though

Good to know - best of luck with your studying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines