Highlighted

Work from any device [Branched from connect DW CC to MAMP]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem has NOT been solved in 4 years ... why do we have to begin a new thread? I want to be able to access my files from any device that I have ADOBE CC on. Is that so difficult to imagine based on what we pay?  Dreamweaver is a joke. I have to download via FTP depending if I am on my laptop or desktop. MOST ANNOYING

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

what seems confusing to me is no longer the relationship between an online application and an installed application, but rather, the difference between a Creative Cloud account and a web server

working and sharing files in a library, or any other type of space on the Creative Cloud is one thing... serving them from an Apache server with PHP application while completing them with a MySql server is another, that's kind of the answer to what Adobe tried somehow to answer by acquiring Catalyst

but the fact is that, using Dreamweaver and WordPress, you will always have to place the files worked from the Creative Cloud on a web server... for this you will have to use an FTP client for example to manage the exchanges

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Work from any device [Branched from connect DW CC to MAMP]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem has NOT been solved in 4 years ... why do we have to begin a new thread? I want to be able to access my files from any device that I have ADOBE CC on. Is that so difficult to imagine based on what we pay?  Dreamweaver is a joke. I have to download via FTP depending if I am on my laptop or desktop. MOST ANNOYING

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

what seems confusing to me is no longer the relationship between an online application and an installed application, but rather, the difference between a Creative Cloud account and a web server

working and sharing files in a library, or any other type of space on the Creative Cloud is one thing... serving them from an Apache server with PHP application while completing them with a MySql server is another, that's kind of the answer to what Adobe tried somehow to answer by acquiring Catalyst

but the fact is that, using Dreamweaver and WordPress, you will always have to place the files worked from the Creative Cloud on a web server... for this you will have to use an FTP client for example to manage the exchanges

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I understand your problem correctly, you would like to be able to edit any file from any device (laptop or desktop) connected to your website without having to download them?

if that's what you expect....... there's a lack of understanding of what DW is..... DW is a software that is installed locally, which means that it will be physically installed on the various devices (Mac or Windows), and in order to be editable, any file must be recovered locally... and this... generally by FTP or since some versions by GIT

if you really want to be able to edit files directly on the remote server , you need to move to online solutions, such as WordPress for example

if this is not what you expect, I repeat Nancy's question, please, explain your problem more clearly so that we can help you as best we can

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is wordpress, but the htdocs folder does not seem to work when I put it into the CC files drive. I suppose it has something to do with MAMP because I notices that their paid version allows for cloud work. I would work with the files connected to the server but I like to work locally before uploading as there are endless possibilities for mishaps.

When meeting with clients or not at my home office I edit on the laptop. When home, I like to have the bigger screen to view both the code and design at the same time.

Again, my trouble comes in when I take that folder out of the MAMP folder so this may be a MAMP issue.

That being said, what, other than FTPing down the new files each time, is the system that others use to have the most updated files on any given computer.

I ask because when I do connect with the little plug icon to the site it seems to take forever to update my local files. Opening Fetch FTP app I can pull the new files on. I have several clients so I tend to get confused as to what is new and sometimes overwrite LIVE work that I had not meant to ... with CMS that is a small horror

Thanks for any input, as calling Adobe directly was not the answer, they were not able to help me figure out how to share the dreamweaver site folders (there are presently a little over 20 sites there)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well now it's me who disconnects and no longer understands... what do you want to change on your site... the files or the contents...

if we are talking about content, then DW is of no use... just connect to yoururl.com/wp-admin (unless you have intentionally changed this address) and from there you access the back office and can change the content and structure as required from the administrator interface

if we are talking about files... then two possibilities... either by using the internal editor (not recommended) https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_Files

either by using Dreamweaver this time, and by using either FTP or GIT to edit localy all or part of a child theme (recommended) https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes or a personal plugin https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins...

but generally these are operations that are performed quietly in the studio and rarely in consultation with the client.

so please, clarify about what we are talking about ... what are you expecting to performe and handle ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 1
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have branched this to a new discussion.

Work from any device

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm expecting it to be like any other CC file. When placed in my cloud I  an pick up where I left off from any device.

I don't want to waste more time on this since I am not able to communicate what I think should be a simple request. I will simply download the newest version of my functions.php or header.php as needed - and yes, I know about logging into a WP admin panel. I have been building websites for close to 20 years now,  before even seeing Dreamweaver so I think I can get the simple stuff..

Just trying to make a hectic workday smoother.

Thanks anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy ... maybe someone who works with MAMP and Mac will recognize what it is that I am saying. I appreciate you doing that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Nancy, it makes sense

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 1
Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree.   Creative Cloud space is not a web server.  It's merely a storage area for static files -- HTML, CSS, JS, graphics, videos, etc...   As you say, PHP files need a server.  MAMP is a server but it has no relationship with Creative Cloud. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2018 1