I'm running Creative Cloud 184.108.40.2064 on macOS 10.14.6 and the launcher app keeps crashing because after starting it performs some form of update of the Creative Cloud application which leads to a segmentation fault and crashes the app. As of this time of writing it looks like 220.127.116.114 is the latest version, so I'm not sure what it's trying to update? The update process gets to the 60 - 80% mark and then will crash. Occassionally the updater process fails with Error Code 301 and this prevents the app from crashing.
I have attached the stacktrace/dump that I managed to obtain, when the app does crash.
The installed Creative Cloud apps appear to be functional, however installing apps is difficult now without manually grabbing the installers due to the app crashing within about 30 - 60 seconds, depending on when the update process gets to the point where it causes a segmentation fault.
I have tried a clean install with the Adobe CC cleaner tool and re-installed the Creative Cloud application several times with no success.
I did submit the attached stacktrace to Adobe through the report tool, however I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing similar issues?
Copy link to clipboard
I would suggest creating a new user to see if the problem is specific to your user profile - this may also provide a workaround for installing additional applications if necessary.
Do you have any applications installed such as anti-virus, anti-malware, or anything else which might interfere with an application's ability to run, or is there anything non-standard about your network configuration or otherwise different about the machine?
Thanks for you response. I haven't tried a new user profile, however it is certainly possible it could be related to corrupt/bad profile settings. Originally the machine was running CC 2018 apps under a site license, rather than a named Adobe Enterprise ID. I did remove all CC 2018 apps with the package uninstaller and then ran the Adobe CC cleaner tool. I did experience initial issues with the CC 2020 app launcher, so then did an additional rm -rf on various Adobe directories in places, which resolved that. Initially the behaviour described above didn't happen, it was then a few runs after that it started happening.
One workaround using Little Snitch, is to prevent the web request to the updater endpoint so the application cannot continue with whatever update it's trying to do and prevent the app crash, sometimes it fails with Error Code 301 itself anyway. I'm not sure what it's trying to update as 18.104.22.1684 is the latest version.
Network configuration is pretty standard, no proxy or anything set like that. Software wise, there is no AV/anti-malware software installed. This machine is connected to a Windows domain via SCCM, so it's possible that certain software is deployed that I don't know about, which I can ask our IT team about.