Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deploying MSP update via group policy

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to deploy Adobe Acrobat Reader DC via group policy. I am fairly familiar with assigned software settings in group policy, but I've never really dealt with MSP update packages before.

I have downloaded the archived exe from the Adobe website, and extracted the MSI, MSP and CAB etc.

The documentation says to slipstream the MSP into the MSI and then apply that updated MSI as an update package in my GPO.

What I'm not sure about, is what I actually need to store on my share for the update package to work? The slipstream process has created a whole bunch of other folders such as common, program files, system, system32.

Are these needed or were they created simply during the slipstream temporarilly?

The MSI looks to have a recent modified date, but is still very small. The CAB file has not changed.

Do I just need to copy over the MSI, CAB and MSP or do I need to copy over everything except the MSP?

Thanks

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

I just followed this, it was clearer:

How-To Deploy Acrobat Reader with GPO - Spiceworks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me out with this please, as I don't really understand how to deploy updates via GPO.

Thanks

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sadly this doesn't answer my query. This is the documentation I was already looking at, and referring to in my original post.

The bit that loses me a little is this:

Create an AIP.

Copy the AIP folder and rename it as the patch version; for example, 10.0.1.

Slipstream the patch into the 10.0 MSI.

Open a command prompt and CD to the patch version copy of the AIP.

Create the AIP via msiexec /a [MSI file name] /p [MSP file name]

Add a new package to the original GPO in the standard way without moving existing packages.

Point to the new MSI.

In the Deploy Software dialog, choose Advanced to bring up the properties menu for the package.

Nowhere is it explained what an "AIP" is. I assume "Adobe Install Package"?

As per my original query, I have run the slipstream command, but a whole bunch of extra files and folders are created, and the original MSI has not increased in size;

What do I actually need to store on my share for the GPO to be able to deploy the update?

Do I need to include all the new files and folders, or do I just need to store the MSI, MSP and CAB files?

Many thanks

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just followed this, it was clearer:

How-To Deploy Acrobat Reader with GPO - Spiceworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines