Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Reader DC as the default PDF handler

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know there are/have been several iterations of this question. I have attempted ALL of the suggested fixes and none have worked. Its amazing. I have Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1709 with the latest version of Adobe Reader DC installed in computer labs. Each time someone logs in, they get a prompt indicating MS Edge has been made the default for pretty much everything. If Adobe Reader DC is opened, a prompt appears asking the user to make it the default, which goes into the process of making it the default in Windows. Something that will be undone the next time someone logs in.

I have tried:

Using a default apps XML file. I followed the instructions here pertaining to the XML file with no success. My difference being the path indicated within group policy does not exist for me. I used the GPO to create the aforementioned registry entry. No luck...

Installed the Adobe Reader GPO extensions on my DC's central store. All of the desired configuration settings are there, Adobe Reader DC/Windows just seems to be ignoring them. Not a single specified setting is applied.

Set the bShowInstallFTE and bToggleFTE user keys in the registry via GPO. This also has no effect.

I am completely at a loss. All I want is for Adobe Reader DC to be the default PDF handler and to not ask about or be changed by Windows 10. Pretty simple. My only success has been with creating a customized default user profile and copying to the default with sysprep and CopyProfile. It works, but it balloons the that new default user profile by hundreds of MB. This adds-on to the already lengthy time it takes for a new Windows 10 user to log in to over two minutes. That's on a PC w/16GB of RAM, Core i7 CPU and an SSD. Windows 7 did not have nearly close to this many problems with Adobe Reader.

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Windows 10 enforces the file extension workflow.  This is not an Acrobat bug but a Windows OS requirement implemented by Microsoft since Windows 8.  You can workaround it in a few ways and we document them in the ETK.  Setting the Default PDF Viewer Windows 8-10

Note that DISM item can be used in a few situations that I am aware.

1. When the system OS image being created is going to be on a Domain.
  2. When creating an OS image for deployment and before a user has logged on to a system to create their pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FTE preference works with a different feature and is unrelated.

Did you try DSIM? I don't see that mentioned above, and that's the main tool MS provides for this type of task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 enforces the file extension workflow.  This is not an Acrobat bug but a Windows OS requirement implemented by Microsoft since Windows 8.  You can workaround it in a few ways and we document them in the ETK.  Setting the Default PDF Viewer Windows 8-10

Note that DISM item can be used in a few situations that I am aware.

1. When the system OS image being created is going to be on a Domain.
  2. When creating an OS image for deployment and before a user has logged on to a system to create their profile.
  3. When the user profile is deleted and then recreated when the user logs on to the system.

Here is a helpful blog from Microsoft that explains some strategies:  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-ass...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been through the same thing on our virtual desktops.  I ended up using SetUserFTA by Christoph Kolbicz.  You can find it here.

I have a task that runs SetUserFTA.exe .pdf AcroExch.Document.2017

You can choose to deploy that in whichever way you like.  There are lots of options listed on his blog.

Good luck

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some powershell that will export the current defaults with dism to a before.xml. The xml is read line by line entered and copied to an after.xml replacing the .pdf association. the after.xml is imported back with dism.

$AdobeAssoc = '  <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="AcroExch.Document.DC" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />'

$EdgeAssoc = '  <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />'

dism /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:$env:TEMP\Before.xml

$BeforeXML = Get-Content -Path $env:TEMP\Before.xml

foreach ($Line in $BeforeXML){

if ($Line -match 'Identifier=".pdf"'){

$AdobeAssoc | Add-Content -Path $env:TEMP\After.xml

}

else {

$Line | Add-Content -Path $env:TEMP\After.xml

}

}

dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:$env:TEMP\After.xml

Remove-Item -Path ("$env:TEMP\Before.xml","$env:TEMP\After.xml") !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there also a workaround to make Adobe Reader the default reader when using Mac OS 10.15.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work on Windows Server 2016, and if not--what's the recommended path to help my RDS users on that server launch Reader by default instead of Acrobat?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Мерси

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Микрософт пожайлуста востановите мои документы

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines