• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating CC in a Campus Environment

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here at my University, we have students who purchase CC on their own, in addition to three different computer labs where CC is installed. It is impossible to keep all the computers (99% Macs) running the same version of the CC software. The student's machines get updates regularly, but the lab machines do not (due to a number of factors, including using Deep Freeze to keep the machines in a frozen state).

Even when going to the CC Desktop and manually updating all the apps, the versions are not the same in different computer labs. I updated a full lab last Friday, and yet today I find out that another update has occurred and that lab is now useless to the students.

This is a large problem for us, seeing that you cannot open files from "version 12.0.2" on a machine running "version 12.0.1" - which I find to be beyond ridiculous.

HELP !!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Hi,

If you have a case number associated with the call you had I would be happy to look into this for you.

To address your questions:

1.RUM will process any available updates or give an error.

2. Yes, do this via a system like SCCM or schedule a task on Windows, use a Cron job...Schedule a Task | Microsoft Docs

3. It can be where you like.

4. Not that I am aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible that you have different versions of the Creative Cloud Desktop App installed in different labs machines, or that when you originally deployed you varied the options regarding updates when you built the package? If so, or if you are rolling back to an earlier version via the app you mention, you might want to consider building a new package with just the Desktop App and deploying that.

Also, what application gives you the error you mention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a 90 minute chat session with Adobe Tech Support this morning.  (I will be happy to email the full transcript to anyone who wants it for your own "entertainment"). It has been brought to my attention that the Creative Cloud Desktop App *does not work* for Device Licensing. According to Adobe, the Desktop App *only* works for Named Licenses.

This means that in order to update my lab machines, I have to *manually* check the Adobe website to see if there are updates (because they do not publicize when updates happen), then I have to *manually* download the updated packagers, and then I have to *manually* apply the updated packages to each machine.

I cannot even begin to express my dissatisfaction for this process. The fact that an updater process is included in the software that simply does not work boggles my mind. I am also dismayed to know that if a student using Premier version 12.1 on their laptop saves a file, it cannot be opened on my Lab machine running Premier 12.0 - and that is just as big a complaint as the inability to keep the applications up to date.

If there are any other people reading this forum that are using Device Licenses, I would love to know how you manage to keep your software updated.

In the mean time - I am going to poll my faculty to see if anyone has another software package that will work for their classes that is *NOT* sold by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For device licenses these license the machine and not the user. The issue with the Desktop Application is that if the user signs in to it using their own Adobe ID then it can disrupt the device license - as it will look at the entitlement attached to the Adobe ID and may find none.

For updating your device license environment you can use the Creative Cloud Packager to build an update package for all the applications and push that out through your deployment system (SCCM etc), or update the base image you use.

We also have the Remote Update Manager tool and the option to use an internal update server.

For further details of these methods please refer to Enterprise & teams Help | Applying updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a deployment system (such as SCCM) in my environment. I have tried to use RUM, but I receive "unknown errors" or no response whatsoever from the program. If I can't get RUM to work, I don't see how setting up my own update server will do me any good.

Who can I contact to try to get more detailed help with RUM? I would think that would be my best option (especially if the commands can be scripted in a shell).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information regarding RUM is here Use Adobe Remote Update Manager

You can open a support case or request an expert session via the following options.

To contact support please use one of the following options.

Creative Cloud for Enterprise - from the Admin Console go to the support tab to open a case. Phone and chat options are also available here.

Creative Cloud for Teams - from the CCT Admin Console go to the Help tab for chat and phone options.

Alternatively please go to  https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for Final Exams to finish before trying (what I think will be) a 2.5 hour phone call (2 hours on hold, 30 minutes of actual communication).....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the saga continues ......

I had a very nice conversation with a gentleman in Adobe Tech Support. Of course I do not know his name, because he said he would email me a set of documentation for me to read - which he never did. I told him that I hoped to have a conversation with someone while I was in my lab (where CC is) and not in my office (where CC is not). So we mutually setup a time for him to call - which was an hour ago.

Needless to say - he never called. It is truly quite frustrating. Every time I give Adobe a chance to make up for lost time / effort and show a good face to their client, I get virtually slapped in the face.

While I was in my lab, I tried running Remote Update. It *appears* to have worked, but I still have the following questions:

1) How can I prove that what I see in the terminal window is actually what needs to happen?

2) Is there a way to script RUM to run on a schedule (say every Saturday morning at 1 AM)?

3) Does RUM have to live in the /usr/local/bin/ folder on the hard drive, or can it reside anywhere I see fit?

4) Is there a way to redirect the output of RUM to a file, which can then be reviewed at a later point in time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you have a case number associated with the call you had I would be happy to look into this for you.

To address your questions:

1.RUM will process any available updates or give an error.

2. Yes, do this via a system like SCCM or schedule a task on Windows, use a Cron job...Schedule a Task | Microsoft Docs

3. It can be where you like.

4. Not that I am aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'correct answer' actually is wrong - referencing SCCM or a Windows cron job doesn't apply to a Mac centric lab. 

Also, the lab is using a product called Deep Freeze from Faronics, which needs to be orchistrated to be 'unfrozen' for any changes, otherwise it is lost on the reboot. It would be interesting to see what the OP figured out. Using a product like Jamf to manage the Mac's, along side the controls you have with Faronics would be a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested to know whether you figured out how to get Adobe updates deployed in a Deep Frozen environment. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not looked into this further personally.

With the latest Adobe Creative Cloud client you can tell it to keep Apps up to date.  Finding a way to manually kick that script would be key, then use Deep Freeze to schedule a thaw, boot, update & refreeze.  Jamf may be key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines