• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat DC Cleaner Tool has stopped working...

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process configuring an uninstaller for Adobe Reader in case we have failed installation within our company.  I found your cleaner tool, which is exactly what I needed!

However, after the tool completes the uninstall process (logs have finished being written), it crashes.  I have tested this on multiple computers.  Even if I run the tool without any adobe software installed, whenever it completes and you hit "Finish", it crashes.  If I run it silently, it crashes.

My machine is a Precision 3520 with Windows 10 1709.  However, this happened with a VM running 1709 as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Capture.PNG

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the product versions you are trying to remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been testing the tool by removing 18.011.20035.

The removal appears to be successful and the logging ends.

Like I mentioned before, even if I run the tool when NO adobe product is installed, it still crashes at the end once you click "Finish."

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the product name, track, and major version rather than the build number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader DC 2018

I believe 2018 would be continuous track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the error details from the Application logs...

Faulting application name: AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015.exe, version: 4.0.0.15957, time stamp: 0x5595f7a4

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.16299.192, time stamp: 0x16e7ff7f

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000da8b9

Faulting process id: 0x6080

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b0cb50c6709a

Faulting application path: C:\Users\________\Desktop\AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 4b4d5a13-9b15-4817-8749-9ff86c275b86

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that you're installing the lasted version downloaded online.  I'm still not clear on whether you're reporting a bug or are having a problem. I'll take a stab at some scenarios: 

• If you are installing Reader for the first time on machines then you don't need the cleaner. If it's crashing in that scenario, you don't have a problem but there could  be a minor tool bug when running it when no product is installed.
  • If you are removing older versions of Reader (or any older versions exist on the machine), then you are not using the right version of the cleaner. There are versions for each product version (e.g.: use the 11.x cleaner to remove 11.x products).
  • If you haven't deployed yet, there's no reason to uninstall. Moreover, the cleanup tool is not a replacement for the product uninstaller. Use the uninstaller to uninstall the product and only use the cleaner if a future install somehow fails because the previous uninstall was not complete. The cleaner is a backup tool for use in unusual cases.

Do either of those apply to you? In two places above you state the cleanup is successful and logging completes. If you are having an issue that prevents you from installing the product or I'm missing some detail, please post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  Thank you for your response.  I apologize for any confusion.  Let me try my best to clarify...

I support a global company with 1000's of machines.  While we try to keep the same version of Adobe software on all machines, anyone who has ever been in charge of global deployments knows that can be a difficult task.  Mobile devices that do not regularly check in on the network might be behind a few versions.  We also support Reader in multiple languages, which carry different GUID's themselves.

I am only trying to find a removal option for DC versions of Adobe Reader, not 11.x or 10.x, etc...

I am not currently using this tool as a clean up for failed installations.  My installations are fine as of now.  I was only preparing for that scenario, as well as others.  One of my other intended uses for this tool is if a policy comes out where my company decides to use another .pdf reader in the future or Adober Reader DC has a future critical vulnerability, I can quickly uninstall 1000's of copies of Adobe Reader DC silently.  We have to prepare for those types of scenarios.  Companies, at times, also decide to stop supporting software and it needs to be removed quickly (flash comes to mind here).  This tool appeared to be that answer.  It provided a "scrubber" like uninstall, had built in logic to uninstall any version of the DC software and supported a silent uninstall (typically provided for enterprise environments).

I only tried the tool without reader installed as a troubleshooting step, I know it is not meant to be used in that scenario.  My entire point was that the tool crashed regardless of the machine it was being used on or if it was even installed or not installed.  Part of my troubleshooting process was to provide multiple scenarios to see if I had different results.  I was trying to be helpful and point out that the tool only crashed as it was exiting, regardless of what the results of the uninstall were.

I also attempted to uninstall Reader DC - French language, 15.016.20039.  It crashed after it was finished with that version as well.

I also narrowed down today that we don't even have to perform the uninstall.  We can simply open up the software, then hit cancel, and it crashes.

I created a crash .dmp file and I came up with a "heap_corruption" as the culrpit.  That doesn't really tell me a lot, but it was worth a shot.

I originally posted to see if anyone else had experienced the issue or if I could help track down a bug.

I just finished testing the tool on a completely clean install of Windows 10 1709 (not domain joined, no group policy, no software) and it worked correctly.  It appears that something with our configuration does not play nice with this app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're ok then. I would recommend using the supported cmd line for silent uninstalls: Windows cmd line and msiexec — Enterprise Administration Guide

The tool on LABs is posted on "LABs" for a reason: While they are useful utilities, they are not the center of development focus. Note the LABs page starts with this text:

"Here you will find a summary of the Acrobat-related prerelease and experimental technologies available on Adobe Labs"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input!

I was just interested since it seemed like an "all in one" solution for my mass-uninstall needs.  Hopefully, someone can come back to this app and do a little extra development.  These are great for enterprise software admins!  If I find out exactly what breaks it on my configuration, I will gladly update my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not really a solution.

We have various versions of Adobe Reader DC in our enterprise and working with the uninstall codes is not an option. There are too many variables for that. The cleaner tool was an excellent solution for this but since Windows 10 1709 it keeps crashing at the end.

And it crashes at every event mentioned here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The cleaner tool on LABs is not a replacement for the uninstaller and should not be used that way. If there is some reason you can't use the standard uninstall methodologies, post why and perhaps found issues could be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines