• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app Blank white screen/CEF Helper has stopped working- Windows 1607

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

( Edited by moderator: This issue is now 'Solved' )

We have multiple Citrix desktop servers with recently updated Creative Cloud Desktop where users upon logging immediately get a pop up error "Adobe CEF helper has stopped working".  Server OS is fully patched Windows Server 2016DC.  Application error log indicates offending module is kernelbase.dll

TOPICS
Acrobat , Enterprise , Teams , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

We now have an update available for the Creative Cloud desktop app (v 5.4.2.541), please click on this link to download the patch and install it to resolve this issue. 

Admins can create a package that contains the Creative Cloud desktop app from the Admin Console and deploy it to affected devices.

Let us know if this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am using the Creative Cloud Desktop app, which worked flawlessly since yesterday morning. After updating it, I am not able to start it again as it is immediately crashing after startup. Windows Event Viewer displays an Application Error 1000 with the following content each time I am trying to start the client:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Adobe CEF Helper.exe, Version: 5.4.1.534, Zeitstempel: 0x603ad432
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 10.0.14393.0, Zeitstempel: 0x57899809
Ausnahmecode: 0xe06d7363
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000017788
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x27a4
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d710dbe244839a
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\HEX\Adobe CEF Helper.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Berichtskennung: 2b801a44-6658-4d8d-a75e-d2b84c7425cd
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

(I'm using a german Windows version, sorry)

The Windows version is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016.

The steps I have done so far:

• Used the Adobe Cleanup Tool several times and reinstalled the Creative Cloud client several times
  • Cleaned all residue folders of Adobe in Program Files, Program Files (x86), all Common Files folders, local appdata, Roaming
  • Ran SFC /scannow, which ran successfully with no errors
  • Ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth with no problems
  • Resetted windows system files via Windows Inplace Upgrade

None of these steps had helped and the problem of the crashing Creative Cloud client persists. The last resort (at least of which I could think of) would be a complete reinstallation of Windows but I'd like to avoid such a radical step as I am glad that on this company computer all the software is installed that I need. On another computer the recent version of the Creative Cloud Client works flawlessly.

Is someone familiar with this problem and has got some other solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

With kind regards

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, reset the cc app:

to reset the cc desktop app, make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall/reinstall per the above link

if that fails, do a clean cc install following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html
then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html
clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html
check for, and if available, update your os
repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired.
update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated
restart your computer (don't skip this)
reinstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html
if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use the link at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html
use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm in the same case as Andreas. Only we can't make a windows version rise because we're on Amazon workspace.

I tried the solution but it doesn't work.

would have you any other lead.

thanks,

xavier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Try all solution and nothing=\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreas, have you been in contact with your company about the problems you encounter using the computer they provided?  Individual memberships are designed to be used on computers where the user has full unrestricted access to the computer and the network.  If this access is not available, then you could run into unexpected errors.

We do other Creative Cloud for Team and Enterprise memberships that are designed for managed environments. If the companies I.T. department is unable to resolve the current errors, they may want to purchase a Team or Enterprise membership instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'd like to report that I performed a Windows Inplace Upgrade from Windows 10 LTSB 2016 to Windows 10 LTSC 2019. After following kglads guide on completely removing Creative Cloud and reparing the VCRedists, the client now works again on my computer and I can use the applications.

Our company already participates in the Adobe ETLA Point Consortium program but our IT department never encountered such an problem and could not replicate it. I prefered using my own license as I am using the software for my PhD thesis.

With kind regards

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Andreas. You may want to consider using your own computer if you continue to encounter problems using the computer managed by the company you work for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm in the same case as Andreas. Only we can't make a windows version rise because we're on Amazon workspace.

I tried the solution but it doesn't work.

would have you any other lead.

thanks,

xavier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. We have two Windows Server 2016 (based on Windows 10 LTSC 1607) with this problem. We can not update them to Server 2019 because of licensing issues. The problem "Adobe CEF Helper has stopped working" startet a few days ago.

Uninstalling and reinstalling of the CC Apps was not a solution.

I assume it's a problem with the newest CC App V5.4.1 which was automatically installed shortly.

Adobe please fix this soon, many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this happened to me too while testing. We are using Windows Server 2016 Version 1607 on a server and I tried to install Creative Cloud there as an alternative solution. On this machine I got the same error. On Windows 10 Pro, Home or LTSC 2019 it runs fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed same issue here - All Windows Server 2016 machines started having this problem since the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016.
EventData

Adobe CEF Helper.exe
603ad432
KERNELBASE.dll
5e9140ed
e06d7363
0000000000034f38
01d712a41da77bc6
C: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ Adobe \ Adobe Desktop Common \ HEX \ Adobe CEF Helper.exe
C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll
7d72c8c4-09fe-40a0-8161-34000a17bd16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry to know that you are unable to use the Creative Cloud app due this error, we are seeing this issue is only pertaining to Windows 10 LTSB 2016 version. 

Please upgrade your system OS from Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and check, this should help resolve the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, My company works with Amazon AWS WorkSpace. We can't upgrade the windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can not upgrade your Windows server version because of license compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that is not a real solution for most companies running LTSC for various reasons. Please roll back your recent update/patch as that is what is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This most certainly does not "help". This is not a viable solution. Please fix your product.

Note: in my testing, a 1909 patch in place upgrade resolved the issue. This isn't something I can just roll out to ~900 computers on a whim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm chatting with Adobe support and they're maintaining that the solution is to upgrade the OS. This is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:
support says

We're coming up with an interim fix soon but the ultimate solution is to use a supported Windows build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a way to stop users from being able to have the ability to update the CC Desktop app? Most of ours have the auto update option turned off on their preferences, but some of them still tell it to update when CC pops up the message telling them there is an update available. I've love to be able to disable the app updates all together if possible temporarily. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the original issue.  In further troubleshooting we are deploying Citrix desktops with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 LTSR 1912 Update 1.  The VDA is installed on Windows Server 2016 DC.  A recent update to Creative Cliud Desktop initially caused the issue.  We are not using Creative Cloud Desktop and only use Acrobat DC Pro.  The only reason we have Creative Cloud Desktop is due to the fact it in installed by default when installing Acrobat DC Pro from Creative Cloud.  I found a Creative Cloud Desktop uninstaller at the following link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

We executed the uninstall option, and the uninstaller said it completed with errors.  Upon reboot of the VDA we are no longer receiveing the Adobe CEF Helper error and it did not impact our Acrobat DC functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also located the Acrobat Pro DC installer which will install Acrobat DC Pro without Creative Cloud Desktop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

Hope this information helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a way to stop users from being able to have the ability to update the CC Desktop app? Most of ours have the auto update option turned off on their preferences, but some of them still tell it to update when CC pops up the message telling them there is an update available. I've love to be able to disable the app updates all together if possible temporarily. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We now have an update available for the Creative Cloud desktop app (v 5.4.2.541), please click on this link to download the patch and install it to resolve this issue. 

Admins can create a package that contains the Creative Cloud desktop app from the Admin Console and deploy it to affected devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines